Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi speeds > 200mb?

Brian_E72
Aspirant

wifi speeds > 200mb?

Hello,

I have the r6700v3 router, and while connected via ethernet, I am getting the max our connection will allow, which is almost 450mb. The problem lies in the fact that when I connect with another device via wifi, I only get around 200-230mb/s. I'm only ~100ft from the router itself, have a very good signal and an excellent SNR. I have checked, and no other routers in range of our house are using the same channel.

I get about the same speeds in Linux as I do in Windows. I'm using a USB3 dongle that uses the Realtek 8812BU chipset. The link connection is well over 850mb/s. Bluetooth is off as well as power saving mode for the adapter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: wifi speeds > 200mb?

Wireless AC will never hit gigabit speeds. it can get fairly close depending on the device you're testing on. 

A lot of the time its device dependant. A 1x1 antenna device is going to have half the throughput of a 2x2 antenna device. 

Also, distance makes a big impact. "only 100ft" is quite a significant distance when it comes to 5ghz. It doesn't broadcast nearly as far or through as much materials. it drops of very quickly with 5ghz. 

you can read many more details and in depth here: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 10
Brian_E72
Aspirant

I never mentioned gbit speeds......

Ethernet connections to the same router consistantly max our our advertised internet speeds of ~400mb. It seems to me that this router is limiting wifi connections to ~200mb. The reason I say this is that I've also tested it within 2' of the router and never gotten any speeds above 230mb. I've been through every setting on this router, but yet cannot achieve the full 400mb that I should be getting when I'm right next to the router. Sorry I didn't include this information in my original post. And as mentioned, the link speed to the router is about 2.x* my maximum connection speed from the modem to the ISP.

Message 3 of 10
PauLita
Luminary

R9000 + Galaxy S20 5g Ultra

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

have you tested any other wireless devices other than the Realtek 8812BU?

have you tried a factory reset and clean install (not from backup)?

Make sure to leave qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, and access control disabled. 

Message 5 of 10
Brian_E72
Aspirant

I've tested it via both Windows and Ubuntu...same speeds on both, and I've also tried the stock Realtek driver that's used by my laptop which uses the 8821CE chipset......and yes when using the dongle, I had turned off the internal wifi via the BIOS..... I've also made sure that there are no other local wifi networks in range that are using the same channel....The laptop in question is a Lenovo S145-AST with an A6 CPU and R4 GPU with 16gb ddr4 and a 480gb SSD

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Brian_E72 wrote:

I've tested it via both Windows an Ubuntu...same speeds on both, and I've also tried the stock Realtek driver that's used by my laptop which uses the 8821CE chipset......and yes when using the dongle, I had turned off the internal wifi. I've also made sure that there are no other local wifi networks in range that are using the same channel....

switching between windows/ubuntu doesn't change the chipset or device. 

did you try a different device? 

Did you try the factory reset/reinstall?

Message 7 of 10
Brian_E72
Aspirant

I know that switching between Windows/Linux does not change the device. I was stating that fact to let people know that I get the same speeds no matter what OS I'm using to rule out that it's an OS/Driver issue.

And I don't understand the question about what I'm supposed to be reinstalling/resetting to factory specs. The dongle is brand new.

Message 8 of 10
Brian_E72
Aspirant

And QoS/Parental controls, etc are turned off in the router. I have QoS capabilities turned off in the OS' as well.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Resetting the router back to factory and doing a clean install.

If you've enabled qos, parental controls, traffic monitoring, access controls. It disables cut through forwarding. 

Its needed for speeds >250mbps. 

I'd I've read of its settings (disabled) being retained even through a router feature has been disabled and the router rebooted. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7