× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

xr500 ethernet disconnecting after a few games on xbox s

Ethanxd9
Aspirant

xr500 ethernet disconnecting after a few games on xbox s

hi im new to the netgear stuff and ive got the xr500 i set it up optimized geofilter and qos and got to playing played a few games and i lag out i go look at the xr500 and its blinking amber lights on powerand wifi my xbox is connected via cable i cant find a answer for the issue let me know please !!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: xr500 ethernet disconnecting after a few games on xbox s

OK, so does it seem as though the XR500 is rebooting itself, causing you to lose connection to your game?

Could you please try going to Settings -> Setup -> LAN Setup. Here, please change the minimum DHCP value to 100. Then, resercve an IP address for each device on the network. Give each device an IP address between .2 and .99.

See if you're still having problems after that.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@Ethanxd9 wrote:

hi im new to the netgear stuff and ive got the xr500 i set it up optimized geofilter and qos and got to playing played a few games and i lag out i go look at the xr500 and its blinking amber lights on powerand wifi my xbox is connected via cable i cant find a answer for the issue let me know please !!

You might get more responses and better answers if your post was in the community specific to Pro Gaming Routers here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

A moderator might move your post.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good advice from FURRY above, if you do that and let us know the answers we'll get a better idea of what could be happening.
Message 4 of 13
Ethanxd9
Aspirant

It’s currently 2.3.2.134 , it’s a technicolor cgm4141 from cox and yes it’s a cat6 Ethernet cord and yes I’ve done all the stuff you have listed since the last fw update .
Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, so does it seem as though the XR500 is rebooting itself, causing you to lose connection to your game?

Could you please try going to Settings -> Setup -> LAN Setup. Here, please change the minimum DHCP value to 100. Then, resercve an IP address for each device on the network. Give each device an IP address between .2 and .99.

See if you're still having problems after that.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #2 first...

@Ethanxd9 wrote:
It’s currently 2.3.2.134 , it’s a technicolor cgm4141 from cox and yes it’s a cat6 Ethernet cord and yes I’ve done all the stuff you have listed since the last fw update .

Message 7 of 13
Ethanxd9
Aspirant

I enabled bridge mode on my modem because I don’t quite understand the DMZ and it’s still having the same problems like it’s rebooting it self after a few games
Message 8 of 13
Ethanxd9
Aspirant

Yes this is exactly what it’s doing but I am not seeing dhcp value when I go to lab setup
Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It may be called 'Starting IP address' or something along these lines. The most important step is to reserve IP addresses for each device, so make sure you've done this.

Message 10 of 13
Ethanxd9
Aspirant

that worked thanks very much is there anyway you can tell me why most of the servers for mw2 my ping heatmap fails to ping there in my geofilter radius but it fails to ping them at all

Message 11 of 13
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

They change their server information frequently, so we just need to update them. The team are working on that now so you should see those servers back and responding later today.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7