Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Airplay over the Nighthawk mesh 6 system

MAPowers
Follower

Airplay over the Nighthawk mesh 6 system

Is there any plans to fix the issue of not being able to use airplay with or should I be shopping for a new router system. Would like to be able to use airplay to cast to my TV. If there is no plan to fix this defect please let me know so I can switch to an amazon EERO. I am disappointed that I bought this less than a year ago and have had to change out 8 lightbulbs due to not being able to connect to my router (2.4 GHz only)  and now I have a  new tv that this system does play nice with. Please advise help is coming or should I give up on netgear?

Message 1 of 9

I've had the system for about a week - have been chasing a few issues, like connecing an AirPort Express to the Wifi (connects fine) but then it won't pass ethernet out to a wired client - it's like the Netgear won't give out IP addresses this way. Anyway, I've just discovered AirPlay isn't working at all. It must be blocking the required ports? I'll try and see if they can be opened somehow, should be open by default, and try an earlier firmware, i've head .98 might be good. Failing that I'm returning this system later today! No excuse to not fully support Apple devices. Pretty disapointed, have been happy with the speed otherwise. 

Message 2 of 9

Tried older firmware. Tried a bunch of settings. No dice. It’s definitely filtering out required airplay / bonjour data from the network. Useless. Can’t handoff playing audio to HomePod via proximity tap. Can manually Airplay photos or movies or mirror to any of the Apple TV’s we have. Returning it now. A pity, as the speed was good for the most part.
Message 3 of 9
Crcamacho
Aspirant

I have the same issue. My Nighthawk can not connect through airplay. When the company fix this problem.
Message 4 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Crcamacho,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 5 of 9

This still isn’t fixed? Glad I returned mine! Ridiculous. People own iPhones you know. And Apple TV’s and HomePods and other things. All network traffic should be allowed by default on a router system - the default and uneditable setting should not have various protocols blocked. Very glad I didn’t wait and went with another system now.
Message 6 of 9
Choppers
Tutor

This worked for me. It's one of Apple's 'features' that has to be disabled:

iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Wi-Fi.
2. Tap the information button next to a network.
4. Tap to turn Private Address on or off. If your device joined the network without using a private address, a privacy warning will explain why.
5. Click rejoin

By turning off Private address, it immediately found and connected 🤷‍♂️
Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Apples new Security features they deploy. Great stuff. Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 9

It’s a privacy feature, not a security feature. But with it still left on AirPlay works perfectly on my new mesh system from another brand… so it’s obviously possible.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7