× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Apple devices cannot conect!

mikey59
Guide

Apple devices cannot conect!

Stating yesterday, I have been having problems with iPhone, iPad, Macbook, connecting to Wi-Fi

It shows as available, but when connecting, it goes from connected to not 2 or 3 time & then just shows in my list of networks.

I have reset network settings & restarted phone numerous times, forgotten & rejoined numerous time,

Looking for suggestions!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Apple devices cannot conect!

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

@mikey59 wrote:

Stating yesterday, I have been having problems with iPhone, iPad, Macbook, connecting to Wi-Fi

It shows as available, but when connecting, it goes from connected to not 2 or 3 time & then just shows in my list of networks.

I have reset network settings & restarted phone numerous times, forgotten & rejoined numerous time,

Looking for suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
mikey59
Guide

Turned off private Wi-Fi address & now it keeps telling me the &$^%##*& password is wrong!!!

This had been working fine since the beginning of the year - what would have suddenly changed to &%#$ that up?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Forget the connection on the apple device then re-connect with the WiFI Private IP address disabled.

Message 4 of 9
mikey59
Guide

And now it’s back to telling me wrong password!
Dunno if this is related or not, but now my windows laptop is just giving me the generic ‘cannot connect to this network’ message…
Message 5 of 9

@mikey59 wrote:

... now my windows laptop is just giving me the generic ‘cannot connect to this network’ message…

Wired connection or wifi?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

@mikey59 wrote:

Looking for suggestions!

Message 7 of 9
mikey59
Guide

Keep in mind, I've had a couple of Samsung TVs connected with no issues (so far)...

Firmware - V1.0.3.34_2.0.58

Modem is my own Arris Surfboard SB6190

Cable is the one that came with the Netgear package

Restating everything appears to have fixed it, but keep in mind I did do all that Sunday night when the first Apple product (the wife's Macbook Pro) started having issues.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7