× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can't Turn Remote Management Off - MR60 Mesh Router

bryansdiego
Aspirant

Can't Turn Remote Management Off - MR60 Mesh Router

If anyone can help I appreciate it.  I have the latest firmware.  I am just trying to turn off the Remove Management.

When I unselect and then hit Apply it does not save the setting, and turns it back on... Anyone have any suggestions?  I have to get it turned off to pass a PCI compliance test.  Thanks!2023-08-24_17-22-39.png

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't Turn Remote Management Off - MR60 Mesh Router

Ok, lets try a Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
jhonibhram
Aspirant

If you find yourself unable to disable remote management on your MR60 Mesh Router, you can try the following steps:

1. Open a web browser and enter the router's IP address to access its settings.
  2. Log in using your credentials.
  3. Within the settings interface, locate the section related to remote management.
  4. Make sure to select the option for turning off or disabling remote management.
  5. If you encounter persistent issues, it might be helpful to check for any available firmware updates that could resolve the problem.
  6. Alternatively, seeking assistance from Netgear's support team could provide further guidance in addressing the remote management concern on your MR60 Mesh Router.
Message 2 of 11

You already have the latest firmware, but there have been rare cases where reinstalling the firmware can mend minor errors in it.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You could also see if a reset "unsticks" the controls.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 11
bryansdiego
Aspirant

Wow, thank you so much!!!  I will try and first manually redo the firmware, and then if that doesn't allow me to turn off remote management, do a factory reset, correct?

Message 4 of 11
bryansdiego
Aspirant

Thanks again, sadly manually reinstalling the firmware doesn't fix it ;-(

Next I should try just factory reset?

It's so odd I can deselect the option, but when I go to save, it turns it back on.

2023-08-25_07-28-12.png

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge or Firefox or Opera.

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the MRs web page. 

Definitely try a Factory Reset and setup from scratch. Do not load any saved backups from file. 

Message 6 of 11
bryansdiego
Aspirant

Thanks so much I tried a new install of Firefox same issue. I uncheck the box, hit save, it comes back.

At this point, sound like I need to do factory reset?

Do you think it's not possible to turn off Remote Management?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets try a Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 8 of 11

@bryansdiego wrote:

At this point, sound like I need to do factory reset?

Do you have a complicated configuration on your router? If so, it might be a good idea to save it:

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Then, after you reset the router, don't waste time by doing anything beyond trying to turn off Remote Management. You  might not even need to get on line.

If that works, great, go ahead and reconfigure the router.

If it doesn't work, then you know that the reset does not work. So you could restore your configuration on the grounds that it isn't the issue.

One other thought is that something change in a earlier firmware update. (It has happened.) So you could try installing an earlier firmware to see if that unsticks the on/off toggle for Remote Management.

Message 9 of 11
bryansdiego
Aspirant

THANK YOU SO MUCH, this WORKED!!!

I erased all router settings, then hit the factory reset button on the router.  Then I reconnected it from scratch.  Even though I did have the latest firmware before, this time the "remote management" option disappeared!!!

I am good to go and thanks!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7