Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Cannot connect printer to wi-fi

mikey59
Guide

Cannot connect printer to wi-fi

Setting up my new Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system & everything is fine but the printer! The printer is an Brother HL-2280DW, that worked fine with the HNDR3700v5 that I am replacing. I have been able to set up the printer with an Ethernet cable, but when trying via wireless, I am having no luck! The printer will see my network, but will get a connection failed message on the report printer will print out & this is both using the WPS or AOSS option or not using it! Phone support is saying my printer may be too old, which if that's the case, I may need to return this, as I wasn't looking to replace a printer that printed & scanned with no problems using my old wireless router.

And the printer is maybe 6 or 7 feet away from the router.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Re: Cannot connect printer to wi-fi

@mikey59 wrote:

The printer will see my network, but will get a connection failed message on the report printer will print out & this is both using the WPS or AOSS option or not using it!

The usual way to fix Wi-Fi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the Wi-Fi.

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

The router just broadcasts Wi-Fi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Phone support is saying my printer may be too old, which if that's the case, I may need to return this, as I wasn't looking to replace a printer that printed & scanned with no problems using my old wireless router.

Do you still have the old wireless router?

I have found that it can help to repurpose old routers to maintain features that get wiped out by new technology. In my case, it was ReadySHARE for USB storage.

I simply put the R7800 into AP mode, turned off the Wi-Fi (not really necessary) and plugged it into the network. I could even use the R7800 to host my printer.

This might be better than trying to find a replacement for your anonymous "Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 " system. You may find that anything else you buy will suffer from the same symptoms.

If you want more detailed advice, try telling people which new Netgear router is causing you grief (read the "Hint" at the bottom of the messages you write), not to mention the modem/gateway/ONT that connects it to the Internet. Throw in the firmware version on the router while you are at it.

Without those  details we are just guessing.

Message 2 of 4
mikey59
Guide

My Router: Nighthawk MR70   

Sticker on bottom of the box says MK72-100NAS

Firmware Version V1.0.3.32_2.0.57

I'll be damned - when looking in router settings it is now showing up & working?!?
Message 3 of 4

@mikey59 wrote:

I'll be damned - when looking in router settings it is now showing up & working?!?

It is a well known consequence of asking for help here.

The concentrated mind waves of contributors fix things.

71GV79NPpZL._UL1163_

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7