Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

imjustabill
Guide

Re: workaround: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

Follow-up:  most likely explanation seems to have been "user error" on my part!

After a helpful several-hour-long telephone investigation with Jason from Level 2 tech support, we resolved my issue with the MR60 router + 2*satellite nighthawk mesh-networking system by updating the firewall settings on my Synology NAS.

It turns out that my old TP-Link network was 192.168.0.*, while my new Netgear MR60 network is 192.168.1.*.  In my initial reconfiguration after buying the Netgear router in Dec 2020, the Synology DSM had correctly picked up a 192.168.1.* LAN address via DHCP from the MR60 router, but its firewall settings were still configured to grant permissive access only to 192.168. 0.*.  Oops.  The crucial hint came when I put the wired connection of a new Intel NUC side-by-side with the Synology NAS, and I was able to ping the NUC but not the NAS.

I am still puzzled that I had also observed, back in Dec 2000, that I was unable to ping a wired Brother printer that was side-by-side with the NAS, but as I write today, I am able to ping, from my wifi network, both the Synology NAS and the Brother printer, both of which are connected to the LAN port on the MR60 router via an unmanaged Netgear switch (since the MR60 has only one LAN port).

So this issue appears to be fully resolved, thanks to the patient assistance of Jason from L2 support.

I'm curious whether any of the other, similar reports in this thread persist after careful investigation.

Message 26 of 68
imjustabill
Guide

Re: workaround: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60)

We resolved this last week, thanks to Jason in L2 support. I posted a longer message in another thread. Issue was synology NAS firewall had rules set to allow 192.168.0.* whereas new MR60 router switched over to 192.168.1.*, so even though NAS was getting 192.168.1.* LAN address via DHCP from MR60, its firewall was rejecting local pings. As far as I can tell, it was "user error" on my part.

Message 27 of 68
n8man
Star

I appear to have the same issue.

All devices are able to reach the internet. Any wired devices can be pinged locally from any device. Wireless devices can only ping a subset of other wireless devices.

This causes issues with the kids' local multiplayer games or communication with our HomePod speaker/DA.

Message 28 of 68
Archerjohn
Aspirant

Re: Cannot ping the device in same network (MR60) 4 hrs with so called customer support!

All "suggestions" from Netgear, on phone or computer, fail.  Support person was inaudible most of the time and uninformed when she could be understood.  So far spent 10 hours with this piece of junk!  No one from Netgear will help.  A new low in my experience with tech companies!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 29 of 68
DMGriffin1948
Initiate

I am having the same problem Nighthawk MR60/MS60 MESH network. I am not able to PING or connect to PCs and an HP Officejet PRO 9010 printer over Wi-Fi unless they all happen to use Wi-Fi from the router (MR60). I have one PC that is connected to the router via CAT6 Ethernet that works fine in all cases. It appears, to me, to be an issue with the satellite (MS60). If I power the MS60 off and force everything wireless to use the router's Wi-Fi everything works perfectly. It almost seems that Wi-Fi clients on the satellite are forced to use Wi-Fi separation security. Either that or Netgear has a serious routing issue in their MESH implementation. You are absolutely correct ICMP PINGs do not work either. I have searched high and low for a Wi-Fi separation setting, but no joy. HELP US PLEASE Netgear! Your customers need a fix for this problem.

Message 30 of 68
n8man
Star

I talked with Joshua at Netgear Level 2 Support. He was able to provide a beta firmware that has completely fixed the issue for me for the last two weeks. He said that the new firmware should be released “soon”.
Message 31 of 68
plemans
Guru

Good luck!

Message 32 of 68
n8man
Star

The beta firmware that I was provided was V1.0.6.103

It looks like Netgear just released a new firmware today, 1.0.6.116. I haven't tested it to see if it includes the same fix as the beta firmware. There is nothing in the new release notes about our issue, I don't know.

1.0.6.116 Release notes:

1. Fixed security issues.
  2. Fixed Armor won’t identify joined satellite as a vulnerable device.
  3. Fixed unnecessary internet DNS queries from satellites.
  4. Fixed the speed test results that are different between APP and web GUI and improve the speed test accuracy.
  5. Fixed potential internet disconnection while MK63 is in star topology and signal strength between router and other two satellites are similar.

I'll report back after I test.

@Christian_R Do you have any input?

Message 33 of 68
DMGriffin1948
Initiate

I waited and install the official release, 1.0.6.116, a few minutes ago. No problems so far.

Message 34 of 68
n8man
Star

I tested 1.0.6.116 and local games and my HomePod didn’t work. I switched back to the beta firmware that I was running before now everyone is working again.

I’ll just stick with this beta firmware until I can test whatever comes out after 6.116.
Message 35 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try  a factory reset after a FW update if you run into problems next time.

Message 36 of 68
UpIrons
Tutor

Wish I could get my hands on that beta firmware. Not sure it's worth fighting with customer service over. I am having the same problems everyone else is having and it makes no sense other than some internal error between the router and satellite so nothing any of us can do until they put the fix in the latest firmware. I am to the point where I am about to just kill the satellite until there is new firmware out.

Message 37 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing. 

Message 38 of 68
mjgadient
Initiate

My solution was to switch to an Asus mesh Wi-Fi 6 router system and resolve to never buy a Netgear product again. By having zero firmware updates released with no solution to this large problem, Netgear made it very clear we are not a priority to them.
Message 39 of 68
plemans
Guru

good luck with it!

I've heard good things about Asus but I haven't ever played with their mesh systems. 

Message 40 of 68
n8man
Star

It's been two months now since Netgear gave me the beta firmware to use (V1.0.6.103_21.03.03_homepod) and there is still no fix for this issue in the offical stable firmware.

I'd be fine with continuing to use this beta firmware but the actual throuthput performance is terrible. Transferring data across the network is excrutiatingly slow. I'm not able to stream plex video to my TV from another computer on the network. What is strange is that access to the internet seems to be uneffected and is full speed.

I'm not sure if the performance issue is a side effect of whatever workaround/fix they implemented to get wifi devices to be able to reliably communicate or if this beta firmware has some kind of special kernel-level debugging enabled (which usually degrades performance). Either way I just can't handle this. I need this fixed or I need to switch to another model and brand of hardware. This system is broken.

Another unforunate thing is that I have this same mesh system installed in two locations (I bought it for my in-laws) and I have exactly the same issues with both systems. It's ridiculous that this gear is still for sale. Netgear needs to fix this.

When I call Netgear they want to charge me because I'm outside of my 90-day purchase window. Screw them.

Message 41 of 68
n8man
Star

Here are links to the beta firmware "V1.0.6.103_21.03.03_homepod" (hosted on Netgear's Salesforce instance)

This firmware resolves the issue where some devices could not reach each other on my local network. Now my kids can play their games together and I'm able to use my Apple Homepod devices. The downside is that LAN (but not WAN/internet) throughput seems to be reduced.

MR60-V1.0.6.103_21.03.03_homepod.chk

https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/300000000xsV/a/0y00000059ve/_8htNtva_h1yMRgvUQD98DUn0TP9wB4bVg5...

MS60-V1.0.6.103_21.03.03_homepod.chk

https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/300000000xsV/a/0y00000059vZ/lKzCrI_xzS1AAWEZjIZI_1FhfbjiQh8aQGw...

I've had pretty good luck with this firmware but your results may vary. Good luck.

Message 42 of 68
UpIrons
Tutor

Thanks for supplying that. I will have to test it out and see how it does for my environment. Nice to know they are at least aware and working on a fix - just wish they'd get it into the next full release quickly.

Message 43 of 68
n8man
Star

TBH, I have no idea how long those links will stay up. If they go down then I'll replace with links to my personal google drive.

I just want some transparency about the issue. The official firmware is legitimately broken.

Message 44 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting why these didn't get posted to NGs download site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk62.aspx#download

Message 45 of 68
n8man
Star

I don't know why they didn't release these. Definitely don't install these if you don't trust them. I linked them from Netgear's Salesforce account to try to show that they came from Netgear.

Message 46 of 68
Sanjith92
Star

Have the same problem , devices cannot ping any other device thats connected to sattelite , it can only ping if its connected to the main router .  I think its some sort of inbuild firewall within the sattelite thats blocking certain traffic ( ICMP , Chromecast etc.) . 

I can see all the device thats in same sattelite in the arp table , all devices are in same subnet(so no routing involved) , so most likely some Layer2 / mac filtering type of situation . 

Message 47 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/Cannot-ping-the-device-in-same-network-MR60/m...

@Sanjith92 wrote:

Have the same problem , devices cannot ping any other device thats connected to sattelite , it can only ping if its connected to the main router .  I think its some sort of inbuild firewall within the sattelite thats blocking certain traffic ( ICMP , Chromecast etc.) . 

I can see all the device thats in same sattelite in the arp table , all devices are in same subnet(so no routing involved) , so most likely some Layer2 / mac filtering type of situation . 

Message 48 of 68
n8man
Star

@UpIrons Did the firmware end up working out for you?

Message 49 of 68
UpIrons
Tutor

While it did fix the problem, you were right in that it is slowed down on the local LAN.

I thought that would be acceptable in my environment but almost immediately I realized how much that actually does affect what we do at home. I have a Plex server and it was nearly impossible to locally stream anything to any TV in the house from my server due to the latency in the beta firmware. Oddly enough this was not something I had a problem with before the beta as most of the issues we had were related to file share access and of course inability to print to a printer from one laptop but not others which was the most annoying.

So, I went back to the latest firmware. For now, my only solution is to unplug the satellite and accept that not every system in the house will get as strong a signal. 

I think you're right about them potentially having debug logging turned on in this beta firmware. Otherwise it was nice just to see a fix but I will have to hope they just get the fix into the next release. 

Message 50 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7