× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Connect my CAX 80 Modem Router to a MESH System

VasileiosSiokos
Follower

Connect my CAX 80 Modem Router to a MESH System

Good morning!

My wife and I are moving to a 3,000 sq. ft. house with one main level and a basement.

Our internet connection will be up to 1,200 through Xfinity. I just purchased a new Netgear CAX80 wifi 6 modem router. We would like to have coverage in our basement as well while the modem/router will be in the main level.

Can I connect my existing Netgear Wifi 6 modem router to a MESH network? Or I should return it and purchase just a modem and a new MESH network?

Thank you for your advice!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect my CAX 80 Modem Router to a MESH System

You have a couple options. 

1. use the CAX80 as a primary router. connect a mesh system to it but run the mesh system in access point mode. Make sure its on a different ssid and on different wireless channels to prevent interference. 

2. instead of buying a "mesh system" just get a mesh extender for it. the EAX20 or EAX80 can be added as an AX mesh extender. I usually only recommend this if you're only needing 1 extender. If you're needing more, then its better to go with a "system"

3. Try the CAX80 on its own. If i centrally locate my CAX in my home, it covers the whole home. And I've got just over 3000sq ft

4. Like you said, return the cax80 and just go with a modem and a mesh system. 

so multiple options you can try. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7