Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

DATA SPIKE TO 2 TB WITH XFINITY

tunthura
Aspirant

DATA SPIKE TO 2 TB WITH XFINITY

Good day all,

Our cable & internet service provider is Comcast. Internet speed is 600 Mbps.

I have been using my own Netgear Nighthawk cable modem CM1150V and Mesh Wi-Fi 6 router MK 63 with Comcast for almost 2 years and never has any issue. In mid-February we got data spike warning from Comcast. We changed our pwd in router then within 1 day data shoot up to 750 GB. At the end of the month, total data consumed reached to 2 TB. Comcast said they couldn’t trace anything because of we were using our own cable modem & router.

They waived $100.00 for exceeded data usage for the first time but they said they would charge if data spike happened again next time & suggested to rent their gateway modem so that they could trace data usage and device to avoid the data spike happened again. So, we had no choice, and rented their gateway modem.

But their gateway modem’s Wi-Fi signal strength is not strong enough for two story building and we are having the issue with Wi-Fi. I want to go back to use my own cable modem CM1150V and Mesh router. But this time I want to use the Netgear mesh router which can login to Netgear website and see which individual device is using how much of data. I was told with Mesh Wi-Fi 6 router MK 63 couldn’t do it.

Appreciate for any suggestion which Mesh Wi-Fi router I should buy to use with CM1150V or any other suggestions on the cable modem as well.

Tun

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: DATA SPIKE TO 2 TB WITH XFINITY

None of NG routers/mesh systems support monitoring data usage per device. You'd have to go commercial instead of consumer

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

With as much data as you're using, it should be fairly easy to track. shut off all your devices and turn them on in groups of 5 (ish) and then watch them for a day. If the data spikes on that group of 5, you know its one of the devices in there causing it. then its pretty simple to track. 

Plus both android and windows have a built in data tracking feature you can use on those devices to see how much data they're using. I've had to use that before to find issues on one of my devices that had a miner installed and was burning through data. 

Message 3 of 5
tunthura
Aspirant

Hello,

Thanks for your advice & appreciate it.

Tun

Message 4 of 5
tunthura
Aspirant

Hello,