Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

DHCP IP Address assignment MR60

larry3706
Guide

DHCP IP Address assignment MR60

I have been having some connection issues with my thermostats, not to my LAN but to the ecobee servers. I found that reserving an IP address for the thermostats seems to have resolved the issue, but in the troubleshooting process I noticed that my router was assigning the same IP address to a thermostat and a different wireless device(Amazon Dot).

I am less than smart on networking but I thought that was the whole point of DHCP and that the router would assign unique IP Addresses to each device when it asks for a lease. Why is the router assigning the same IP address to two different devices? I am guessing that is the root cause of my thermostat issues.

Larry

Message 1 of 4
Dennyi
Tutor

Re: DHCP IP Address assignment MR60

In the DHCP setup, change the starting IP address to a higher number.  I use .130.

That leaves the random dhcp assisned number to xxx.xxx.xxx.131 - xxx.xxx.xxx.(whatever the Ending IP Address is set to).

Any Reserved DHCP IP address's you want to assign goes below the Starting IP address.  The system will not try to assign a different device to the reserved IP address that way.

Just don't to add a reservation to the same IP as the router is assigned.

Message 2 of 4
larry3706
Guide

Re: DHCP IP Address assignment MR60

Thanks very much for a response. The conflict I was having was before I reserved an IP address, still in the lower numbers. Since I reserved addresses for the two devices, the router has not tried to automatically assign those reserved addresses to any other device. But, if I run into trouble again, your fix looks perfect.

Larry

Message 3 of 4
LuisRHernandez
Aspirant

Re: DHCP lease time MR60

Does anyone knows how to limit the DHCP lease time to 12hrs

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation