Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Ethernet Connection to Satellite if MR60 is in AP Mode

dlfuller
Tutor

Ethernet Connection to Satellite if MR60 is in AP Mode

My ISP (Verizon FiOS) setup depends on their modem not being set to bridge mode.  So the MR60 is setup in AP Mode.

One satellite at the greatest distance was initially setup with a wired ethernet connection, the other not. 

I tried the routine to sync the two satellites, but the wired one would always end with a red led.  So, I disconnected the ethernet and synced it as wifi to get it working.  The router itself is IP 10.0.0.1.  The previously wired satellite now appears as 10.0.0.7.  I think it had been on 192.168.1.x before with the ethernet connection.

Is there any value in the ethernet connection to the satellite?

Any comments appreciated.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The ip address its getting from your verizon gateway as the MK system is in access point mode. 

so as long as the router/satellites are in the same IP range, its fine. 

Hardwired backhaul does have benefits as the hardwired connection tends to be a bit faster/more stable than wireless. 

But you have the 80 series MK so it has the dedicated backhaul. So its a toss up if you've got a solid wireless backhaul to which works better. Then it comes down to actual testing speeds because different things can impact the wireless backhaul. 

Once you have them sync'd, you can always try hardwiring it back in and giving it 5 (ish) minutes to re-sync over the wired backhaul. 

Is your switch directly connected to the MR80 or is it going through the verizon gateway? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The ip address its getting from your verizon gateway as the MK system is in access point mode. 

so as long as the router/satellites are in the same IP range, its fine. 

Hardwired backhaul does have benefits as the hardwired connection tends to be a bit faster/more stable than wireless. 

But you have the 80 series MK so it has the dedicated backhaul. So its a toss up if you've got a solid wireless backhaul to which works better. Then it comes down to actual testing speeds because different things can impact the wireless backhaul. 

Once you have them sync'd, you can always try hardwiring it back in and giving it 5 (ish) minutes to re-sync over the wired backhaul. 

Is your switch directly connected to the MR80 or is it going through the verizon gateway? 

Message 2 of 8
dlfuller
Tutor

Thanks plemans.  And my apology, I don't know what happened to my earlier reply.

My router is a MR60, not an 80 series MK.  But I believe it does have a dedicated ethernet backhaul.  The catch is the one you pointed out – my attempt with ethernet for the satellite was with its connection to a network switch and not directly to the MR60.  There is no practical way to do that with the way the ethernet cable has been pulled.  So a moot point.

Now "dummie" questions to check if I've got this right – I  do have two local IP ranges with this setup – 192.168.1.x ethernet and 10.0.0.x wifi and can communicate between them using the appropriate IPs?  The Verizon gateway (router) assigns an 192.168.1.x IP to the MR60 in bridge mode which then also connects the 10.0.0.x IPs and both IP ranges can communicate with each other and the internet?

Thanks again for your insights.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If they have 2 separate ip ranges, they're still in the double nat. If the MK system is in access point mode connected to your primary gateway, it should be getting an ip address in the range of the gateway

Message 4 of 8
dlfuller
Tutor

The MR60 shows IP 10.0.0.1 in my Nighthawk app.  The MR60 is dynamically assigned IP 192.168.1.9 by the Verizon (Actiontec) router. 

The Netgear support articles about fixing double NAT aren't very helpful.  My ISP (Verizon FiOS) setup depends on their modem not being set to bridge mode, so I do have the MR60 in AP Mode.

Another "dummie" question: How do I fix this?  Or is it possible?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Log in through your browser (not the app) and double check to ensure you're in AP mode as well as you can check the ip address under the advanced tab in the browser. 

Message 6 of 8
dlfuller
Tutor

Thanks again plemans.  Simple, straightforward, and "no" not in AP mode.  Why that's not in the app seems odd.

I changed to AP mode through the browser and ended up with all the wired and wireless devices on one network.  No double NAT. 

The only hangup was initially losing the browser login to the MR60 that had worked before the change.  I used its IP instead for login solving the problem.

Now I'll try the ethernet wired connection to a Satellite and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks bunches for your help.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad that worked. 

Yeah, you can't change it to AP mode in the app. Only through the browser. 

And when its in AP mode, the routerlogin address gets relayed through the primary router and many times it doesn't know to forward that request to the netgear device. So thats when the ip address works well. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7