Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

How to reinstall EX 7700 for use with new modem (different ip addresses and gateway)

Tezzles
Tutor

How to reinstall EX 7700 for use with new modem (different ip addresses and gateway)

This extender has worked well with older modem, but now we are moving on to NBN broadband and the modem supplied requires different ip addresses, it seems. The third code changes from 1 to 0. But I can't access it or edit it on the new modem, which doesn't even ave a manual. I have tried resting to factory, switching off, unplugging, etc. Nothing seems to work. The app doesn't work on my galaxy s4, either. Can anybody help?

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to reinstall EX 7700 for use with new modem (different ip addresses and gateway)

@Tezzles wrote:

Hi Guru,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to explain that I had abandoned the original modem and that I have been using the new Telstra modem for the past several days, but on ADSL. Everything seems to be working fine, but I can't tell how it is, because the link to the ip address of the extender through the browser no longer works. From memory, I believe that it was all set up in Access Point mode. ---if you reset it, it should default back to extender mode. In the WiFi Analytics app, I can see the two Access Points (SSIDs), which are 2.4 and 5Ghz.----It could be 1 access point that is dual band. this isn't that helpful.  There is also , Ch:149, which appears to be the extender. ---not necessarily. 

This morning, as soon as I logged off my pc, the light on the front of the Telstra modem turned red. That was my signal to turn everything off and disconnect in order to set up the broadband, which I did. So I'm now on broadband and ADSL is gone. The smart modem seems to be a lot smarter than me!

I checked the signals again by holding the mobile phone close to the extender, just like yesterday. It is very strong and so we know that it is functioning. The signal weakens when I hold it in front of the modem, just like yesterday too.---not a very scientific test or necessarily even that wifi. Its tough to tell off "the signal weakens"

When the wifi signals are refreshed by scanning, the , Ch:149 disappears and then returns as , Ch:48 and then alternates. Therefore I'm left with the impression that the extender is operating, but not being used.

With things appearing to work, I have still not tried to reinstall the extender, as you suggested. With the Nighthawk app never working on my mobile phone and with you saying that I should not connect with WPS, and with the broadband installation forcing me to attend to it as the priority, it made me put this extender issue on the backburner.

I don't want to waste your time, but if you can extract any sense from this and recommend any action that I should take, then please let me know. Best regards.

The issue is this is all very vague and not accurate. 

I know you said you put it on the backburner but the installation assistant is pretty simple and easy to use. If you factory reset, it'll get you back to the default setup so you can ensure its connecting to the router. to reset, simply hold reset for 7-15 seconds while the extender is powered on. then follow the install guide using the installation assistant. 

Its a mesh extender so it'll use the same ssid as the router (if setup that route). 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: How to reinstall EX 7700 for use with new modem (different ip addresses and gateway)

Try this. 

1. Factory reset the extender again. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

2. hardwire into the ex7700 via the ethernet port. disable the wifi on whatever device you hardwire into it with so it doesn't default back to wifi

3. use the hardwired device to run the installation wizard. Don't try to set it up via wps, use the wizard. 

the install guide showing the installation wizard can be found here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx

Message 2 of 7
Tezzles
Tutor

Thanks Guru. Since posting, I'm not sure what to do. I have spent the past two days restoring my home network, which has been fairly successful. The new Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 (no manual) has been supplied in anticipation of a NBN broadband connection tomorrow, but I have set it up on ADSL. It replaces a DSL-2877AL modem ( which has a red WAN socket, but no phone out socket for a home phone). This modem was slow and wi-fi weak and so I purchased the EX7700. All worked fine, after I put most of my wi-fi audio speakers on fixed ip addresses. The new modem seems to have much stronger wi-fi signals, which is making me reluctant to poke the hornet's nest. I have yet to discover any way of editing the details of attached devices. It seems that Telstra have added obstacles, so that 3rd party extenders are diificult to install and so that their extenders are purchased. Anyway, even though the Netgear Nighthawk app does not work on my mobile phone, the WiFi Analytic app does. It connects automatically to the 5GHz and when I put it in front of the extender it registers -20dBm. The three lights show up on the extender very bright.  The app shows The SSID1 (2.4GHz) as 100% strength (-29dBm), SSID2 (5GHz) 100% (-30dBm) and Ch 149 100% (-27dBm). I believe that this last one is the extender, but it has now disappeared from the app.  Sorry about the length of this, but I'm trying to provide maximum information. It looks to me that the extender is operating, but the Telstra modem is controlling it and I am wasting my time trying to wrestle with it. Essentially, as long as my sound system works reliably (my PC and laptops are on Ethernet connections), I don't want to tamper with things, but I prefer to have some technical knowledge of the operating and performance levels of the equipment I am using. I will be holding my breath tomorrow, when I have to disconnect from the ADSL and install the broadband box and reconnect all of this stuff, along with the home phone. Thank you for your response and any further guidance you can provide to unravel the mysteries that I am facing.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Do you have the EX7700 setup in access point mode or in extender mode? 

In access point mode, all 3 bands are useable. 

In extender mode, 1 of the 5ghz bands is reserved just for router----extender communication.

when you switch over to the other router, like I said, use the installation wizard for the EX7700 and not WPS. It tends to work more frequently than WPS.

And if telstra locked down using extenders, it might be an issue. I've seen other isp's who've done that so they can sell their own wifi extenders. 

If thats the case, hardwire in the ex7700 and run it in access point mode. Its a pretty powerful device and might have better coverage/performance than the new router. 

Message 4 of 7
Tezzles
Tutor

Hi Guru,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to explain that I had abandoned the original modem and that I have been using the new Telstra modem for the past several days, but on ADSL. Everything seems to be working fine, but I can't tell how it is, because the link to the ip address of the extender through the browser no longer works. From memory, I believe that it was all set up in Access Point mode. In the WiFi Analytics app, I can see the two Access Points (SSIDs), which are 2.4 and 5Ghz. There is also , Ch:149, which appears to be the extender. 

This morning, as soon as I logged off my pc, the light on the front of the Telstra modem turned red. That was my signal to turn everything off and disconnect in order to set up the broadband, which I did. So I'm now on broadband and ADSL is gone. The smart modem seems to be a lot smarter than me!

I checked the signals again by holding the mobile phone close to the extender, just like yesterday. It is very strong and so we know that it is functioning. The signal weakens when I hold it in front of the modem, just like yesterday too.

When the wifi signals are refreshed by scanning, the , Ch:149 disappears and then returns as , Ch:48 and then alternates. Therefore I'm left with the impression that the extender is operating, but not being used.

With things appearing to work, I have still not tried to reinstall the extender, as you suggested. With the Nighthawk app never working on my mobile phone and with you saying that I should not connect with WPS, and with the broadband installation forcing me to attend to it as the priority, it made me put this extender issue on the backburner.

I don't want to waste your time, but if you can extract any sense from this and recommend any action that I should take, then please let me know. Best regards.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Tezzles wrote:

Hi Guru,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to explain that I had abandoned the original modem and that I have been using the new Telstra modem for the past several days, but on ADSL. Everything seems to be working fine, but I can't tell how it is, because the link to the ip address of the extender through the browser no longer works. From memory, I believe that it was all set up in Access Point mode. ---if you reset it, it should default back to extender mode. In the WiFi Analytics app, I can see the two Access Points (SSIDs), which are 2.4 and 5Ghz.----It could be 1 access point that is dual band. this isn't that helpful.  There is also , Ch:149, which appears to be the extender. ---not necessarily. 

I checked the signals again by holding the mobile phone close to the extender, just like yesterday. It is very strong and so we know that it is functioning. The signal weakens when I hold it in front of the modem, just like yesterday too.---not a very scientific test or necessarily even that wifi. Its tough to tell off "the signal weakens"

The issue is this is all very vague and not accurate. 

I know you said you put it on the backburner but the installation assistant is pretty simple and easy to use. If you factory reset, it'll get you back to the default setup so you can ensure its connecting to the router. to reset, simply hold reset for 7-15 seconds while the extender is powered on. then follow the install guide using the installation assistant. 

Its a mesh extender so it'll use the same ssid as the router (if setup that route). 

Message 6 of 7
Tezzles
Tutor

Hi Guru, Thanks again for your patience, etc. I finally bit the bullet!  I have factory reset two or three times and reinstalled in Extender mode, then AP mode and finally back in Extender mode using existing SSIDs on the network, as my music system seems to operate better that way and we use wi-fi for its speakers most of all. I am now able to access the extender, as before and can monitor performance on my PC. Just to underline my brand loyalty, all of my switches (1x8 and 2x4) work beautifully, too. Enjoy your weekend.

Best regards.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7