× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

I have a R9000 router, can I create a mesh system by adding an AX6000(EAX80) wifi mesh extender?

flyfishbum
Aspirant

I have a R9000 router, can I create a mesh system by adding an AX6000(EAX80) wifi mesh extender?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I have a R9000 router, can I create a mesh system by adding an AX6000(EAX80) wifi mesh extender?

No. MESH is a system that has a front and back haul connections. BH is a connection between the router and remote units. Something R and EAX series don't support. 

Message 2 of 4
flyfishbum
Aspirant

Re: I have a R9000 router, can I create a mesh system by adding an AX6000(EAX80) wifi mesh extender?

This is the info I received from Netgear Technical Support Chat:

Agent: My name is Azam. How may I assist you today?
USER: I have a R9000 router, can I create a mesh system by adding an AX6000 extender?
Agent: Yes, you can create Mesh Network with these devices.

Now I am confused. Thanks for any help.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I don't think the agent really knows what MESH is. You can connect the extender to the router, it's just won't have MESH abilityes. Will be more or less just repeating wifi singles from the router is all. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7