Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?

stoneda1
Tutor

Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?

I replaced my Comcast ARRIS XB7 with the latest Comcast Technicolor XB8 on 1/23/23. I also spit the SSIDs on the XB8 into 3 unique WIFI names for each frequency (2.4ghz, 5ghz and 6ghz). Since doing that all my devices (except 1) work as expected with the Nighthawk MK60S (which I did not split the SSID from the original install).

The only device giving me trouble is my spouse's Kindle HD8+. This device can run on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. On 5ghz it runs fine (connects with internet always). However, on 2.4ghz it connects but indicates NO INTERNET? Looking at the router detail I can see it is connected to the Nighthawk MK60 router but indicates speed at 5ghz even though I have set the Kindle HD8+ WIFI name to the 2.4ghz WIFI name. It almost seems like the routing is incorrect or confused. This issue did not occur with the XB7 gateway, ONLY with the recently installed XB8 gateway! Is there a compatibility issue between the XB8 gateway and the Nighthawk Mess MK60S WIFI 6 product? Or, any other suggestions would be appreciated to troubleshoot this problem (my FREE support expired several months ago)?

Thanks in Advance.

Dan

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?

These might be useful:

Using Bridge Mode On Your Wireless Gateway - Xfinity Support

how to set technicolor router to bridge mode - Google Search

On your subject, "Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?" any router should be compatible with any modem/gateway. You just have to configure them to play nicely with each other. Sadly, many ISPs like an easy life and supply modems that are difficult to set up.

If you "bridge" a modem, putting it into modem-only mode, the router does all the fancy footwork so you won't use most of the modem's features. Having a shiny new modem in this year's colours is a bit pointless as it would do the same things as any bog standard cheapo modem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #2 first...

Message 2 of 8
stoneda1
Tutor

Wow. Before I try option 2 I need to provide you additional information that may change your recommendation to me.

Right now, I have removed the NG MK60S system from my ISP gateway (home network) and all my devices seem to be working flawlessly, including the Kindle HD8+ since I split the WIFI naming to specific names for all three frequencies. However, I am concerned that my WIFI coverage may not be adequate with the ISP gateway alone (albeit it claims to have extended mess like coverage).

In the past I tried various plug-in extenders to improve WIFI coverage in my home with no reliable success. This is why I moved to install the NG MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 system (perhaps naively so). And, it seemed to be working for me until I upgraded the ISP gateway from XB7 to XB8 (maybe I was just lucky).

So, given the additional information and reasoning I provided above, what would be your recommendation moving forward to ensure my WIFI coverage is adequate utilizing the NG MK60S Mesh WIFI system or another solution I am not aware of if the stand-alone ISP XB8 gateway proves itself not adequate.

Thanks in advance for your further consideration.
Message 3 of 8

These might be useful:

Using Bridge Mode On Your Wireless Gateway - Xfinity Support

how to set technicolor router to bridge mode - Google Search

On your subject, "Is MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 compatible with Comcast Technicolor CGM4981COM (XB8) gateway?" any router should be compatible with any modem/gateway. You just have to configure them to play nicely with each other. Sadly, many ISPs like an easy life and supply modems that are difficult to set up.

If you "bridge" a modem, putting it into modem-only mode, the router does all the fancy footwork so you won't use most of the modem's features. Having a shiny new modem in this year's colours is a bit pointless as it would do the same things as any bog standard cheapo modem.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option #2 first. 

If your having issues with the MK system connecting to the ISP modem, you'll need to contact the ISP for there help and information regarding there modem and any configurations needed there to set up the MK system. 

Try option #3 as well. 

@stoneda1 wrote:
Wow. Before I try option 2 I need to provide you additional information that may change your recommendation to me.

Right now, I have removed the NG MK60S system from my ISP gateway (home network) and all my devices seem to be working flawlessly, including the Kindle HD8+ since I split the WIFI naming to specific names for all three frequencies. However, I am concerned that my WIFI coverage may not be adequate with the ISP gateway alone (albeit it claims to have extended mess like coverage).

In the past I tried various plug-in extenders to improve WIFI coverage in my home with no reliable success. This is why I moved to install the NG MK60S Mesh WIFI 6 system (perhaps naively so). And, it seemed to be working for me until I upgraded the ISP gateway from XB7 to XB8 (maybe I was just lucky).

So, given the additional information and reasoning I provided above, what would be your recommendation moving forward to ensure my WIFI coverage is adequate utilizing the NG MK60S Mesh WIFI system or another solution I am not aware of if the stand-alone ISP XB8 gateway proves itself not adequate.

Thanks in advance for your further consideration.

Message 5 of 8
stoneda1
Tutor

Thank you Michael.  Dan

Message 6 of 8
stoneda1
Tutor

Thank you Furry. I will contact Comcast and discuss both options 2 & 3 with them. I appreciate your guidance.  Dan

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7