× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via LAN to extend my WiFi beyond it's current range

RickZz
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via LAN to extend my WiFi beyond it's current range

I want to extend my WiFi to cover my entire back yard.I have a shed with LAN for security cameras in the shed so I am trying to find a way to get my WiFi out to the shed but it is out of range to just add another satellite. Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via one of the LAN ports in the shed. If that is not possible, can I set up a 2nd MR80 router out there with the same SSID as my primary MR80 router to extend my WiFi into the yard?

Message 1 of 6

Re: Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via LAN to extend my WiFi beyond it's current range

@RickZz wrote:

I want to extend my WiFi to cover my entire back yard.I have a shed with LAN for security cameras in the shed so I am trying to find a way to get my WiFi out to the shed but it is out of range to just add another satellite.

How big is the backyard?

How far away is the shed?

Does the shed have its own mains circuit?

Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via one of the LAN ports in the shed.

What do you mean by that? What role would the MS80 play?

If the MS80 can get the signal from the MR80 router, then you can use the LAN ports for whatever you want.

If that is not possible, can I set up a 2nd MR80 router out there with the same SSID as my primary MR80 router to extend my WiFi into the yard?

It is not recommended to pile router on router.

Where would the second MR80 get its Internet from?

Message 2 of 6
RickZz
Aspirant

Re: Is it possible to connect a MS80 satellite via LAN to extend my WiFi beyond it's current range

The back yard is 1/3 acre

Shed is about 150 feet from the house

The shed will have electric 

I am running 2 LAN cables from the house to the shed for my security cameras that will connect to the MR80 in the house

My WiFi from the MR80/MS80 drops out about halfway to the shed

I have had issue with the WiFi getting outside my house so I want to add a MS80 in the shed to get greater WiFi range in the shed and backyard but I can't connect to the WiFi with my phone from the shed

I hope I answered all the questions

Message 3 of 6

@RickZz wrote:

The back yard is 1/3 acre

Shed is about 150 feet from the house

The shed will have electric 

I am running 2 LAN cables from the house to the shed for my security cameras that will connect to the MR80 in the house

With a LAN cable and electricity to the shed, you could try an MS80 satellite in wired back-haul mode. But looking at the manual, for the MK8# range, unlike the MK9# it isn't obvious that it support wired satellites in that way.

If not, you could use an MR80, or some other device, in AP mode. It wouldn't create a proper Mesh with the main MR80 but you might be able to live with it.

The size of the backyard may be pushing wifi ranges. I have an acre, but don't expect to get wifi to cover the area.

The 150 feet from the house to the shed is also on the edge of wifi range. Depending on the nature of the main connection, it could also stretch Powerline networking.

You are pushing domestic wifi technology to its limits. Maybe you should also look into kit that is designed for the geography that you describe.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Should be able to set it up with a wired backhaul without issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-Me...

Message 5 of 6

@plemans wrote:

Should be able to set it up with a wired backhaul without issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-Me...

Yup. That KnowledgeBase piece says it applies to the MK8X range.

Pity the manual doesn't include that detail. It is buried in the fine print of the Data Sheet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7