× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Is there a reason to not change my router SSID and Network Key? (Nighthawk MR60)

Bruce49
Tutor

Is there a reason to not change my router SSID and Network Key? (Nighthawk MR60)

A few days ago my mesh router (MR60) stopped working. Netgear Support assisted me in updating the firmware. During the process of getting the router working again the Tech told me not to change the router SSID and Network Key (password). I was tired and only after ending the call did it occur to me that this (the SSID) is the router name that my neighbors will see and the name all my devices must recognize. So my question is: is there a reason to leave the default SSID and Network Key that is on the router label or should I change it? It seems to me that both should be changed for security reasons. If I do make a change, do I do it through the Nighthawk app or through the router login with my computer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Is there a reason to not change my router SSID and Network Key? (Nighthawk MR60)

I prefer to make changes through the router login. But either should work. 

You should be able to change it. the techs usually just have people setup stuff in default configuration to prevent something the users is doing from being the issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Is there a reason to not change my router SSID and Network Key? (Nighthawk MR60)

I prefer to make changes through the router login. But either should work. 

You should be able to change it. the techs usually just have people setup stuff in default configuration to prevent something the users is doing from being the issue. 

Message 2 of 3
Bruce49
Tutor

Thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7