Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

M80 routers just stop working. all lights are blue, but no device can connect.

jec3828
Tutor

M80 routers just stop working. all lights are blue, but no device can connect.

Firmware Version V1.1.6.14_3.1.101

The routers post firmware upgrade are losing their mind.  Over the past 2 months I have had to Factory Reset these routers 3 times.

they are Working fine then overnight, everything stops working.  The routers led are all blue, but no device can connect to them via WIFI or direct ethernet.  It appears that DHCP stops working.  As no IP address is provided to any of my 30+  devices / IOT.  So I would say something on firmware is broken.     

The ISP is working just fine.  I can connect directly to my cable modem port and get 400 + down, 10 up. 

So, it is definitely the routers.

Yes, I have rebooted everything like 4 times before I reset them so,  please don't say try that.... 🙂

I understand this may happen once in a blue moon, but 3 times in 2 months is not good.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: M80 routers just stop working. all lights are blue, but no device can connect.

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? (model)

Message 2 of 5
jec3828
Tutor

Re: M80 routers just stop working. all lights are blue, but no device can connect.

Arris Surfboard SB8200 connected to the M80 with 3 satellites.  

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. that arris modem has more than 1 ethernet port. but the majority of ISP's only allow 1 device to be connected to it. So ensure you've only got 1 device connected or you can loose your public ip address to the router. 

2. When it goes down, you're needing a full factory reset? A reboot doesn't fix it? If it needs a full factory reset try reinstalling the firmware to the router, then doing a factory reset. Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware. 

Message 4 of 5
jec3828
Tutor

yea only 1 port is in use.  

Reboot does not help.  

Firmware corruption/bug.  => I went 3 weeks between first occurrence to second time. 

it is random.  So, who knows?  I suspect a bug that when you hit a specific set of conditions, causes a memory leak or some sort of pointer overflow that corrupts the memory of the flashed firmware.    

IMHO

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7