Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK63 daisy chain and star network layout

mattdeluca
Guide

MK63 daisy chain and star network layout

Hello all,

I'm having some connectivity issues with one of my satellites on MK63, although the light is blue, when I'm connected to this satellite, the speed is very slow, almost non-existent. When I'm in range of other satellite and router, the speed is fine so I'm assuming it's a weak backhaul connection??
I found this page What is daisy chain and how does it work with my Orbi WiFi System or Nighthawk Mesh System? | Answer...

and my actual configuration seem to match the second diagram (star config) so I'm wondering if my router is setup to run as a daisy chain but where it's physically in the form of a star config, maybe it's trying to backhaul to the other satellite that's further away than the router? if that makes sense, hence the weak satellite.

Is there an option to change the configuration settings from daisy chain to star and vice versa? I have looked through the GUI and can't see anything that relates to it or is it an automatic thing? It's frustrating and I'm considering hardwiring it to the router.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MK63 daisy chain and star network layout

hardwired is the way to go if you have that option. with the dual band mesh systems it has to use the same network to communicate router---satellites as it does satellites---devices. That cause a significant speed reduction (around 50%). If you're hardwired in, you don't take that speed hit and your latency is lower. That's why the tribands with their dedicated wireless backhaul perform so much better than the dual band mesh systems. but hardwired, the dual bands perform pretty much the same. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

there used to be a setting so you could disable daisy chain and force star topology. 

It was removed a while ago. 

so you're kind of stuck with letting it auto-negotiate. 

A few things you can try. 

Change locations. Sometimes a lateral move can help as much as moving closer because things in the walls (think hvac, etc) can be blocking signals. 

Also, try hardwiring a pc/laptop into the satellite for testing other locations. that way you know you're actually testing the backhaul versus the fronthaul. 

I'd also advise trying to swap the satellite with other satellites to see if its actually a location issue or that specific satellite issue. 

Message 2 of 6
mattdeluca
Guide

Thanks for the reply @plemans, I thought that may be the case, I have a couple of days off work coming up so I will swap the two satellites to see if it's a location issue or a satellite issue but I have a feeling it's got a weak backhaul to the other satellite instead going direct to the router which is located in between the two satellites. Worse case scenario I will hardwire it to the router as it's only about 15m give or take from the router.

Matt

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

hardwired is the way to go if you have that option. with the dual band mesh systems it has to use the same network to communicate router---satellites as it does satellites---devices. That cause a significant speed reduction (around 50%). If you're hardwired in, you don't take that speed hit and your latency is lower. That's why the tribands with their dedicated wireless backhaul perform so much better than the dual band mesh systems. but hardwired, the dual bands perform pretty much the same. 

Message 4 of 6
mattdeluca
Guide

@plemans yeah I think I will end up hardwiring as they are not very far apart at all. The rest of my house devices, TV's, game consoles, CCTV, etc. are all hardwired going to a central network switch in a cabinet. Another two wires won't hurt 🤣

Cheers

Message 5 of 6
mattdeluca
Guide

I think it was a backhaul connection issue. I think if I reposition the boxes to create a daisy chain topology, I think it would have been ok but this is not possible in my situation and my setup is in the star configuration.

The reason I think this was the issue is that I have now hardwired both satellites and the connections are now (so far) rock solid and I now get consistent connectivity across the whole area.

😁

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7