Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK80 series: MR80 / MS80 - terrible performance every 12 hours

jcas44
Aspirant

MK80 series: MR80 / MS80 - terrible performance every 12 hours

I have a new installed MR80 / MS80 mesh network that gets terrible performance every 12 hours when I have to reboot the router ad satellites

I have Fios 1 GB internet that connects directly to WAN port of the MR80.  The satellite's are not physically connected to the router, they use wireless to create the mesh

Performance - wired directly into the routers my Windows laptop I get 900+ Mbps upload and download using many different speed test sites.  Wireless anywhere in the house on a Windows laptop, IOS or Wired Windows Desktop into a satellite I get 400+ bps upload and download.  Both fantastic and not an issue

After 12 hours of a reboot of routers and satellites running the performance becomes terrible.  Another reboot of the routers and satellites is required to restore the performance of the wireless.  Wired performance directly into the MR80 is never impacted and is900+ Mbps upload and download.  By terrible, the performance is reduced to less than 7 Mbps upload and download on any device tested from.  I have tested by removing all other devices on the Wi-Fi network to verify no rogue devices or devices are performing incorrectly.  

I updated the MR80\MS80 to Firmware Version V1.1.6.14_3.1.101 however this did not resolve the issue.  I tried a factory reset on both router and satellites.  

I tested performance on 2.4, 5, and 2.4 guest - performance across all is terrible.  

-Wi-Fi configuration

--WPA2-Personal AES

--Enable 20/40 MhZ coexistence

-Tried both Disabled\Enabled settings of MU-MIMO and AX

How do I check the back channel mesh network communication?  Only thing I can find is Backhaul Status 'Good' under attached devices

Any thoughts or recommendations

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MK80 series: MR80 / MS80 - terrible performance every 12 hours

What devices do you have all connected and perform speed tests with? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has Armor, Smart Parental Controls, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 2 of 12
jcas44
Aspirant

ONT - Verizon I-211ML.  There is no Verizon Router, ONT connects directly to the MR80

I have eliminated the ONT and cable to MR80 from possible causes - when WI-FI performance is poor hard wired laptop to MR80 has excellent performance 900+ Mbps upload and download

Home is 3500 sq ft - two satellites and one router.  

Distance between MR and MS is 22 FT, no concrete walls.  Devices are all 2ft off ground and 3ft off walls

If it was due to building then I would never get 400+ Mbps upload and download on a wireless connection.  

Wireless channel configuration - I tried multiple combos, was set to Auto and 44.  I just changed to 48 for 5 Ghz

None of these are enabled or used - Armor, Smart Parental Controls, Traffic Meter.

There are other networks but on 5 Ghz using channels 150+

What radio channel does the mesh network use to communicate?  I cannot find this information anywhere.  

I think I have isolated issue to the mesh network channels - either interface or errors communicating.  Are there any tools to monitor or have visibilityinto 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@jcas44 wrote:

ONT - Verizon I-211ML.  There is no Verizon Router, ONT connects directly to the MR80

I have eliminated the ONT and cable to MR80 from possible causes - when WI-FI performance is poor hard wired laptop to MR80 has excellent performance 900+ Mbps upload and download

Home is 3500 sq ft - two satellites and one router.  

Distance between MR and MS is 22 FT, no concrete walls. <Distance is too close between the MR and MS. 30 feet or more is needed in between the MR and MS. I would turn OFF 1 MS and see how the system works for you. 

Devices are all 2ft off ground and 3ft off walls

Do you see same issue with both MS turned OFF to see if the problem continues every 12 hours? 

If it was due to building then I would never get 400+ Mbps upload and download on a wireless connection.  

Wireless channel configuration - I tried multiple combos, was set to Auto and 44.  I just changed to 48 for 5 Ghz

None of these are enabled or used - Armor, Smart Parental Controls, Traffic Meter.

There are other networks but on 5 Ghz using channels 150+

What radio channel does the mesh network use to communicate?  I cannot find this information anywhere.  

I think I have isolated issue to the mesh network channels - either interface or errors communicating.  Are there any tools to monitor or have visibilityinto 

Message 4 of 12
jcas44
Aspirant

I have tried with one satellite unplugged and issue still occurs.  Next test is to try with both MS off.

Where is the documentation or reference does it state minimum distance of 30 ft?

Any idea on reference data for the mesh channel?  Is there a debug mode or anyway to get info what channels mesh is using?

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if it still happens with just the MR.

Does the front LED turn AMBER when this happens? 

If it does, possible that your system is faulty and needs to be returned for another or contact NG support for additional help and information. 

Message 6 of 12
jcas44
Aspirant

When the performance issue occurs the MS80 front line sometimes do go amber but not always.  The MS80 amber issue resolves by rebooting the satellite 

I am currently testing with both MS80 powered off.  With the MS80 powered off WI-FI performance is not as good 200 Mbps upload and download.  This tells me I need the MS80 for coverage.

Can you advise how do I figure out if I am getting interference for the mesh network communication?  The device signal strength is always all bars

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@jcas44 wrote:

Distance between MR and MS is 22 FT, no concrete walls. <Distance is too close between the MR and MS. 30 feet or more is needed in between the MR and MS. I would turn OFF 1 MS and see how the system works for you. 

I would try with just 2 MS deployed as well. not two.

Message 8 of 12
jcas44
Aspirant

<Distance is too close between the MR and MS. 30 feet or more is needed in between the MR and MS. I would turn OFF 1 MS and see how the system works for you. 

I would try with just 2 MS deployed as well. not two.

This was tested -

--using 2 MS performance issue occurs

--using 1 MS 40+ feet distance performance issue occurs

--using NO MS and just MR80 performance issue has not occurred by coverage does not reach entire house

The issue has not reoccurred with both MS80 power unplugged.

How do I check to rule out interference for the WI-FI6 mesh connection?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Not much else to check. 

If you have a wifi scanner on a pad you could see if there was maybe some extra neighboring signals on 5Ghz

Was this happening before you updated FW? 

Message 10 of 12
jcas44
Aspirant

Yes the issue was occurring before the firmware upgrade.

Why are only 4 channel’s available for 5 GHz wireless - 36, 40, 44, 48. Is this a bug or by design

None of the channels are available above 48? 5 GHz standard channels should goto 36 to 165

The nighthawk platform is horrible to troubleshoot, there are no diagnostics and support is non-existent
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The wireless backhaul uses the channels above 48 and are not user configurable. 

If this has been happening before the FW update and prior you may have a faulty system. I recommend opening up a support ticket and contact NG support. Let them know this has been happening before the FW update. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7