Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Satellites Getting High Latency and Dropping Connections

MR60 Satellites Getting High Latency and Dropping Connections

Hello, I am using a 3 pack of the MR60 router with 2 MS60 satellites. They are all firmware version V1.1.6.124_2.0.59 (the latest I could find). Though probably unrelated to the issue I am connected to Blue Ridge Communications as my ISP with 500 Mbps peak download. The issue is that I am getting high latency and even dropping WLAN connections at random intervals from the satellites. The problems are annoyingly intermittent, preventing me from getting down to what might be the specifics. There is no heavy machinery or secondary radio signals involved that might be causing interference. The main router itself has no problems with the devices connected to it. I set the satellites to a static IP as was found as a solution to a similar issue but it has not helped. The satellites both backhaul on the 5 GHz band and are a relatively short distance from the main router only separated by walls. The previous mesh system worked with no issue in the same configuration. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations apart from rolling back the firmware, which would break my current configuration as it did not allow me to set WPA3 on the 5 GHz band main network.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 Satellites Getting High Latency and Dropping Connections

The MK60 set is a dual band set. They don't have a dedicated backhaul. so test this. Get a 50-100ft ethernet wire and just wire the satellite in (for testing) and see if you get the same drops. If you don't, its probably interference/issues with using the same band. Thats the problem with dual band mesh systems is they have to use the same chips to go router--device, router---satellites----devices. And they can't all be broadcasting on the same times. So if you get a device that's saturating bandwidth, it can create increased ping/latency times. Its the whole benefit of the tribands to have that dedicated backhaul link between router----satellites. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

Another thing I just noticed, the logs indicate that it'll give a single client a DHCP lease (the same address) multiple times within an interval of a few minutes. It might be correlated. There is no other pretext around it, at least as far as logs go.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

The MK60 set is a dual band set. They don't have a dedicated backhaul. so test this. Get a 50-100ft ethernet wire and just wire the satellite in (for testing) and see if you get the same drops. If you don't, its probably interference/issues with using the same band. Thats the problem with dual band mesh systems is they have to use the same chips to go router--device, router---satellites----devices. And they can't all be broadcasting on the same times. So if you get a device that's saturating bandwidth, it can create increased ping/latency times. Its the whole benefit of the tribands to have that dedicated backhaul link between router----satellites. 

Message 3 of 5

Thanks! Turned out that auto wasn't really doing it's thing so I tried a few different channels manually and one ended up working.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad it was something simple!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements