Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 amber light after firmware upgrade

drp03
Tutor

MR60 amber light after firmware upgrade

After upgrading to Firmware Version V1.1.7.134_2.0.65 on all three units MR60 now has a amber light indicating no internet connection. the two sat units are fine. I have configured a static address on the MR60 prior to this upgrade so I know what the address is. 
I am able to connect thru the MR60 via the wireless and the ethernet connection on the unit and am able to connect to the internet via the device, however the IP address does not show up in the upstream ATT modem/router and I can no longer access the configuration interface via the app on the phone or directly to the ipaddress of the MR60. I can get to the MS60's.
I have tried to do a factory reset by pressing the reset button for 7 seconds but that does not do anything.
anybody have any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 amber light after firmware upgrade

Try a 30-30-30 reset on the MR then. Still keep it disconnected from the ISP modem for this. 

After the last 30 reset, you should be able to get into the MRs web page at 192.168.1.1. Set the IP address configuration on the PC to Auto, don't use Static. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser and then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Try option #2 first...

Message 2 of 12
drp03
Tutor

Cant factory reset, pressing the reset button for 7-10 seconds does nothing, front LED stays solid amber.

I have the unit in AP mode, no two NATS.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the MS. Disconnect the MR from the ISP modem. Power OFF the MR by pulling the power adapter for 15 seconds then plug back in. When the MR starts to blink press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Leave the wired PC connected. Try 192.168.1.1 when the front LED turns AMBER...

Message 4 of 12
drp03
Tutor

"Turn OFF the MS. - check

Disconnect the MR from the ISP modem. - check

Power OFF the MR by pulling the power adapter for 15 seconds then plug back in.- check

When the MR starts to blink press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. - check

Leave the wired PC connected. - check

Try 192.168.1.1 when the front LED turns AMBER... - no access"

--

I have the laptop static to 192.168.1.253 /24 - not able to ping 192.168.1.1.

I had the AP in static mode at 192.168.1.6 /24 before the firmware upgrade. that also does not work. 
set laptop to dhcp, in case the MR60 actually reset - no go cant get an address from the MR60.
plugged the MR60 back into the ATT modem things are working as they were. Amber light, not registering with the ATT modem, able to access internet thru the MR60.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a 30-30-30 reset on the MR then. Still keep it disconnected from the ISP modem for this. 

After the last 30 reset, you should be able to get into the MRs web page at 192.168.1.1. Set the IP address configuration on the PC to Auto, don't use Static. 

Message 6 of 12
drp03
Tutor

The 30-30-30
That seemed to have worked. was finally able to factory reset it and reconfig for my setup
thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 12
drp03
Tutor

solution marked.

I had a backup of before the firmware update, when I tried to restore it, the unit locked up again, however this time I was able to factory reset it and try again. manually configured it and its working. The admin password was an issue, I found that in the manual configuration the password I was using (9 chars) was a char short for the new firmware (wanted 10 chars), not sure if that had anything to do with the lockup or not. When the MR60 was locked up I had been able to get to the MS60's with the old password so I know I knew the password. shrug, better that I change it anyway just wish it had not made me go through all that.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya 10 characters for the admin password is needed now days. 🙄

Message 10 of 12
drp03
Tutor

Thanks agin for your help.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38