Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 intermittent SSH within the intranet, but successful through external port forwarding.

igor_s
Follower

MR60 intermittent SSH within the intranet, but successful through external port forwarding.

Hello,

I am using an MR60 with 2 satellites, using the latest firmware available for download (Firmware Version V1.1.6.124_2.0.59)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mr60.aspx

I have a RaspBerry PI 4 running Ubuntu 22.04, to which I am trying to connect over wifi.

I have tried connecting to it from both another Ubuntu machine (x86_64) and from an Android phone, both through the wifi intranet. 

They are all nearby, so I presume they are connecting to the same node of the mesh (the router).

The connection mostly times out, however it occasionally succeeds, and when it does it is stable.

But for example I may mange to connect to the PI4 from one device (either the PC or the phone) but not the other, in a non reproducible way. Sometimes only the PC succeeds, sometimes only the phone, sometimes neither.

I have not been able to identify a pattern.

In all cases, all the machines involved can obtain a local ip from the MR60 internal dhcp server.

Out of desperation, I have tried forwarding the port 22 of the RPI outside, on the internet interface of the MR60 (at port 23), and lo-and-behold, if I use THAT, then I can connect to it, from both the other machines, reliably.

This works even while I get the timeout through the intranet.

I would therefore rule out any problem at radio level, ans also at dhcp/dns level.

Anybody experiencing problems like this?

Is there any magic additonal configuration I must do?

Is it possible to get a root shell on the router and check the rules used for packet routing?

thanks in advance,

igor

P.S.

the forum rquires me to select a product from a list, but mine is missing, I picked a random one. This post is really about the MR60

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7