× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 performance issue in AP mode

Sputnik91
Aspirant

MR60 performance issue in AP mode

I have a Nighthawk AX1800 (MR60 and three MS60 satellites) that I have been using for several years now. Two of the three satellites use an Ethernet backhaul and I have been able to get around 600mbps next to the MR60 and wired MS60s consistently over that time. I decided to use the router built into my modem to utilize it's 2.5gb port (I have 1200mbps internet) so I put the AX1800 system into AP mode. Wireless speeds dropped by a third- I'm now getting around 400mbps. Nothing else has changed, I'm on the same wireless channels (though I have tried changing them and even disabling AX with not much of a difference). Devices connected to the MR60 via Ethernet by way of a switch are unaffected, still getting gigabit speeds. Any ideas to get speeds over wifi back to normal?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR60 performance issue in AP mode

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch then configure AP mode? 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is commended. 

Be sure to disable any wifi radios on the ISP modem.

Message 2 of 11
Sputnik91
Aspirant

Thank you for your input. I've tried all of that, I'm using a cat6 cable. I did some testing in the same position next to the MR60 in AP mode, I got 468mbps. I enabled routing and ran another test, 687mbps in the same spot. I tried AP mode again and got 513mbps. I did one last test with routing and the result was 726mbps. I also did tests on a computer via Ethernet that goes through the MR60 each time and the results were always in the 900mbps range.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like router mode works best.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Wanted to test this as well:

MR Router mode:

iPhone and Android pad:

IMG_2358.PNGScreenshot_20230812_144624_Speedtest.jpg

MR AP mode:

iPhone and Android pad:

IMG_2359.PNGScreenshot_20230812_145533_Speedtest.jpg

4 feet distance between MR and test devices.

Ethernet showed over 900Mpbs in router and AP mode.

Message 5 of 11
Sputnik91
Aspirant

That's the issue, I don't want to use them as a router, just access points. But I don't understand why there's there's a big performance hit.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something on the upstream router is causing the MR to degrade and perform slower than expected.

Message 7 of 11
Sputnik91
Aspirant

If that were the case wouldn't devices over Ethernet (which are ran through the MR60) be impacted?
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible. 

Message 9 of 11

@Sputnik91 wrote:
I decided to use the router built into my modem to utilize it's 2.5gb port (I have 1200mbps internet) so I put the AX1800 system into AP mode.

Do you have anything that can use speeds over 1000 Mbps?

The MK system can't. Its WAN and LAN ports are limited to 1000 Mbps.

Message 10 of 11
Sputnik91
Aspirant

Yes, two desktops have 2.5gb nics. The MR60 is connected to a gigabit port and devices connected to the MR60 over Ethernet are getting the expected +/- 940 Mbps.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7