× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 Satellite is on the glitch

Br_river
Follower

MR80 Satellite is on the glitch

I bought the NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX3600 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-pack) in April of 2022.

I only set up 1 satellite since it was what I needed.

I had no issues with it until last week. When the satellite started acting up.

Connecting/disconnecting and have slower speeds. I live in a rural area and my internet is provided through radio waves. We have a radio installed on the top of the house that picks up the signals from a nearby cell tower and a hardwire goes from the radio on the house to the modem. It's basically the same setup as a satellite tv.

My router is plugged into the modem. Our internet speed maxes out at 50mbps. I typically get 30 to 40. Rarely I get below that.

Last week I started having issues. I unplugged the satellite for a while to reset it. I updated the firmware, twice. I am now up to date. I plugged it back it in and it was working. But every so often that day it would drop in and out. I had unplugged it again and was still having issues so I knew then that the isp was acting up. It cleared up and I plugged in the satellite again and it was working.

Yet, past few days every few hours it would drop in and out.

I called my isp tonight after having horrible service tonight. Thought it was them since there were other issues and my neighbors had issues last week as well so I thought it could be the tower. Typically if we have cell phone issues then there is something wrong with the tower and there was tonight, I had to restart my phone because I couldn't even call out. But it fixed itself before I called my isp tonight at about 9pm, left a msg, and they called me back around 10pm.

Tonight we did several speed tests. My satellite was getting 11 and 17mbps while the router was maxxed at 50mbps.

Since I unplugged the satellite I haven't had much issues.

So how do I fix this? I checked the troubleshoot and they had no option for a satellite in a mesh network glitching.

My router is fine. It's the satellite and I don't know why.

Even if there is interference it should only affect the speed not it connecting and disconnecting, right?

I have my satellite on a stand near my Fire TV. On the stand is also a Cyberpower battery back-up surge protector 950V in which both items are plugged into. The satellite is about a foot below it. And I have a floor fan in front of it pointed outward to the room. Could this be causing interference?

I just replugged in the satellite and moved it to be behind the tv. But it's still only putting out 15mbps.

How do I know if the issue is interference or if it is the satellite itself?

How do I fix it?

Reset it to factory?

What if that doesn't fix it?

Should I try setting up the other satellite? And if it works replace it?

I bought the system from Best Buy and got the geek squad warranty...should I take it back? Just for the satellite not working?

It would require a long trip to the nearest Best Buy store.

I just want it work again with no issues.

Just tested it again and getting 34mbps. I don't know if this means things are fixed or it is in its working mode and will glitch later.

If It is still glitching should I reset it to factory and see if that fixes it? Is that my only option since its firmware is up to date? Or are there other options to try before a factory reset?
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: MR80 Satellite is on the glitch

It could be the broadcast internet impacting the wireless backhaul between router/satellite. 

I'm know on the orbi's you can't change anything on the backhaul, but maybe that version? 

Try changing what channels the 5ghz is on. 

You can try the other satellite. If it works and stays stable, it kind of indicates on issue with that one. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MR80 Satellite is on the glitch

You might also update FW as well on the MS First then MR lastly. Been told new FW has some Wi-Fi improvements:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/New-MR80-MS80-Firmware-Version-1-1-7-14-R...

@Br_river 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7