Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Netgear Mesh Wifi 6 New Satellites Won't Connect

Daniel_Sandberg
Initiate

Netgear Mesh Wifi 6 New Satellites Won't Connect

I have a Netgeat Nighthawk MR60 that I love. The system came with 2 satellites and those work great. But I got a big house. Purchased 4 more satellites. After 20 hours troubleshooting, only 1 new satellite connected - details below.

•  I have Verizon Fios ISP. Verizon provided a router that I am using. I have the mesh router in AP mode.

• - Tried repositioning original 2 satellites that came with the router and the 4 new satellites in assorted positions around house. New satellites never connected.

• - I now have all 6 satellites and the router in the same room. The 2 satellites that came with the mesh router connect every time I press the reset button. Only 1 of 4 new (separately purchased) satellites connect - the one that connects connects every single time i push reset (save 2-3 times). The other 3 have never connected.

• - I have literally taken the one that works, unplugged it from its power source, switched it with one of the other new satellites - the one that has worked always works, the others do not connect.

EDIT: By connected I mean light turns blue. By non connected I mean light turns amber.

EDIT 2: Just now, I got another satellite connected. IDK ... I would've almost been happier if none of them connected and there was jsut some setting that needed to be changed. I've pushed reset on these satellites randomly as I've been doing other things at my desk - probably pushed reset 100+ times on each. And they are just randomly connecting? What am I doing wrong? This can't be the way they are intended to work.

EDIT 3: The other new satellite is working sporadically and now that I've been doing even more resets, the included satellites don't connect every time. This has consumed hours of my life - please tell me there's a better way!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Mesh Wifi 6 New Satellites Won't Connect

Are the newer MS satellites you bought have same FW version loaded as the MR? 

If not, then these new MS need to be updated and loaded with same version of FW as seen on the MR/MS that you already have. 

Message 2 of 4
Nadine458
Initiate

I purchased an ORBI that came with two satellites, and I ordered 1 additional.  I cannot get more than 1 to connect.  Still researching, but it's really frustrating.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 4
Daniel_Sandberg
Initiate

Ive had a terrible experience with the Nighthawk. The satellites do not reliably connect and I don't get great internet even when close to them. I would not buy Netgear again.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7