Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: New - MR60 / MS60 Firmware Version 1.1.7.132 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - MR60 / MS60 Firmware Version 1.1.7.132 Released

New Features and Enhancements: 10/17/2022

NOTICE: If users are experiencing problems if there system is Auto Updated over nite and the system stops working for any reason, please download the FW files from the link below and manually apply the FW file to the MS FIRST, then the MR lastly using a wired PC and web broswer. Aftrer the units are back to a ready state, factory reset and setup from scratch. Information on how to manually update FW is linked below in ths post. 

Download Link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk62.aspx#download

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.
  2. Log in to the router using http://routerlogin.net
  3. Click the ADVANCED tab.
  4. Click Administration.
  5. Click Router Update.
  6. Click the Manual Update tab.
  7. Select satellite first and a new web page pops up. Please browse the new satellite firmware and upgrade satellite firmware first.
  8. After you finish the satellite firmware upgrade, please find “Locate and select the upgrade file on your disk” on the MR60 web GUI and click “Browse” and locate the file you just downloaded.
  9. Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
  10. The router reboots when the upgrade is complete. After the router boots up and the LED becomes steady blue.

To check that the upgrade was successful, log in to the router again at http://routerlogin.net and check the firmware version.

If you manually update, be sure to update the MS first, then MR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Update the MS first, then the MR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the MS and MR are ready, power OFF the MS and MR for 2 minutes then back ON.

Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you. Please leave feed back in this thread.

Message 1 of 22
Tagoren06
Aspirant

After new firmware was installed overnight. WIFI is not allowing some devices to connect. In the admin panel, it is showing a few devices are online but will not allow others to connect. I have rebooted, removed the power for 2+ min, etc still nothing. Was working just fine late last night.(Oct 16). I have not yet tried a factory reboot as all my wired connections are working just fine. Frustrating that due to firmware my network goes down and I might have to pay for support for an issue that was caused but the device.

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn the MR and MS OFF. Then power ON the MR only. Do these devices connect to the MR? 

What devices are not re-connecting? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Last resort would be a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@Tagoren06 wrote:

After new firmware was installed overnight. WIFI is not allowing some devices to connect. In the admin panel, it is showing a few devices are online but will not allow others to connect. I have rebooted, removed the power for 2+ min, etc still nothing. Was working just fine late last night.(Oct 16). I have not yet tried a factory reboot as all my wired connections are working just fine. Frustrating that due to firmware my network goes down and I might have to pay for support for an issue that was caused but the device.

Message 3 of 22
dihy
Aspirant

Getting the same problems here, my WiFi has been going up and down all day, hard wired OK.

Already tried restarting units after powering down, still getting the wifi issue.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@dihy wrote:

Getting the same problems here, my WiFi has been going up and down all day, hard wired OK.

Already tried restarting units after powering down, still getting the wifi issue.

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

@dihy @Tagoren06 

Can you both confirm that the MS go the same version FW update as well as the MR did? 

Message 6 of 22
dihy
Aspirant

All units are on 1.1.7.132, I had to factory reset the devices to get them to reconnect, then restarted the satellites again to get them to connect to the main.

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so your system is back up and running again after a FR and your devices are all connected again? 

@dihy wrote:

All units are on 1.1.7.132, I had to factory reset the devices to get them to reconnect, then restarted the satellites again to get them to connect to the main.

Message 8 of 22
dihy
Aspirant

Took about an hour of redoing settings to get the network up.

This is very garbage behavior of netgear tbh, pushing the firmware update without notification and killing user networks. I was in the middle of a work meeting and everything started going haywire.

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. 

Is there a check box for disabling or enabling FW updates on the MRs web page under Advanced tab/Admin? If there is, might uncheck this. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@dihy wrote:

Took about an hour of redoing settings to get the network up.

This is very garbage behavior of netgear tbh, pushing the firmware update without notification and killing user networks. I was in the middle of a work meeting and everything started going haywire.

Message 10 of 22
Tagoren06
Aspirant

1) Both units were on same firmware

2) After doing a bit more troubleshooting and calling my ISP and walking through their stupid checklist for the 1 millionth time all of a sudden the network came back to full life. The ISP suggested that I connect my modem MFG about not getting the top connection rate that I should be. (classic point the finger) After doing so The MFG informed me that particular models of modems from across all MFG with this specific ISP for sure gain interference when the speeds go above 800MB. The ISP should have advised about this at the time of install of the modem (they did not).

I have all equipment that is rated for 1-2 GB speeds but because my ISP has some issue with them they put a limiter on them and I am getting up to 400MB of interference over time. This explains why each week or so I am having issues with my network ever since upgrading to this speed. I am pissed, to say the least about this as the ISP has not mentioned or acknowledged this and it has cost me money for new equipment thinking that was the issue when in reality it is them forcing you into either their specific branded equipment OR a very specific type of equipment.

My next call is back to the ISP and see what their new answers will be given this new information. Oh this should be fun.

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

OH yay. Have fun with that. Thanks for letting us know. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 22
dihy
Aspirant

Do a factory reset.

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets get the ISP services stable first before doing a reset. Possible his issues are not related to what you saw on yours. 

I've got mine hooked up but the system isn't seeing any FW updates from NG. Im waiting on some feedback on this. 

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I manually loaded FW on my 60 series since new FW was not being seen in the AU section, then powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON. System has been up and running fine. No factory resets. 

Message 15 of 22
DCieslinski
Guide

Same with mine.  I had to revert the firmware back to v1.1.6.xxx

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Were you able to contact the ISP? 

Are you still using v.132 FW? 

@Tagoren06 wrote:

1) Both units were on same firmware

2) After doing a bit more troubleshooting and calling my ISP and walking through their stupid checklist for the 1 millionth time all of a sudden the network came back to full life. The ISP suggested that I connect my modem MFG about not getting the top connection rate that I should be. (classic point the finger) After doing so The MFG informed me that particular models of modems from across all MFG with this specific ISP for sure gain interference when the speeds go above 800MB. The ISP should have advised about this at the time of install of the modem (they did not).

I have all equipment that is rated for 1-2 GB speeds but because my ISP has some issue with them they put a limiter on them and I am getting up to 400MB of interference over time. This explains why each week or so I am having issues with my network ever since upgrading to this speed. I am pissed, to say the least about this as the ISP has not mentioned or acknowledged this and it has cost me money for new equipment thinking that was the issue when in reality it is them forcing you into either their specific branded equipment OR a very specific type of equipment.

My next call is back to the ISP and see what their new answers will be given this new information. Oh this should be fun.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

How's your system working on v.132? 

@dihy wrote:

Do a factory reset.

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Put my MK63 online in AP mode with v.132 loaded. Working 1+ days up time:

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 11.47.57 AM.png

All 32 devices are connected. 

Message 19 of 22
MTester
Aspirant

I have 1 MR60 router and 3 MS60 satellites.  All were running the current 1.1.7.132.

I am not certain when mine updated their firmware, but I've been noticing issues over the past few weeks.  Mostly that wifi seemed to be bouncing up and down randomly (with an IP Configuration failed error which would eventually go away), while ethernet was stable.  But today that all came to an end.  Both wifi and ethernet stopped working, though I could confirm the ISP was fine.

Through hours of trial and error, where some wifi devices would work, and some ethernet devices would work, and the rest just wouldn't, I came to the conclusion it was an issue with DHCP.

Statically assign an address, wifi or ethernet, and it was fine. DHCP, a couple would work, most not. I think it is having trouble either reassigning addresses, or freeing up old ones.

I've had the same setup a year now, and no problems.  I'm showing 139 devices attached though, and that's not right. I might have about 70-80 actual devices counting lights, watches, phones, computers, TVs, etc.

My gut fix was to factory reset and start over. Before doing that though, I turned off auto-updates on firmware and reverted back to 1.1.6.124.  After doing that, and rebooting the router/satellites, it was a little sluggish, but after about 15 minutes, everything started connecting fine and no problems since.  No factory reset needed.

Netgear, look at the DHCP stuff and test on a bigger scale than what you apparently are doing.  Either the cache is not getting flushed properly between disconnects/reconnects, or something.  Also, you need to add a better check in there for assigning an IP to a device when another device already has that IP, AND the IP is in the DHCP range.  I understand if a device has a static IP and that can cause a conflict. But I am speaking about 2 devices, both on DHCP, and both end up with the same IP.  That should be something you can avoid.

Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If you seen problems after a FW update, a factory reset is recommended. and is mentioned in this post thread. 

I've been running this version of FW on my MK63 fine, both my MS were updated manually. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the auto update from NG process is messing things up. Why I recommend manually downloading FW files and updating the MS first then MR lastly using a wired PC and web browser. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

I sue this all the time and have not seen any issues here with this configuration. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. I use 1 and 40 here. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MTester wrote:

I have 1 MR60 router and 3 MS60 satellites.  All were running the current 1.1.7.132.

I am not certain when mine updated their firmware, but I've been noticing issues over the past few weeks.  Mostly that wifi seemed to be bouncing up and down randomly (with an IP Configuration failed error which would eventually go away), while ethernet was stable.  But today that all came to an end.  Both wifi and ethernet stopped working, though I could confirm the ISP was fine.

Through hours of trial and error, where some wifi devices would work, and some ethernet devices would work, and the rest just wouldn't, I came to the conclusion it was an issue with DHCP.

Statically assign an address, wifi or ethernet, and it was fine. DHCP, a couple would work, most not. I think it is having trouble either reassigning addresses, or freeing up old ones.

I've had the same setup a year now, and no problems.  I'm showing 139 devices attached though, and that's not right. I might have about 70-80 actual devices counting lights, watches, phones, computers, TVs, etc.

My gut fix was to factory reset and start over. Before doing that though, I turned off auto-updates on firmware and reverted back to 1.1.6.124.  After doing that, and rebooting the router/satellites, it was a little sluggish, but after about 15 minutes, everything started connecting fine and no problems since.  No factory reset needed.

Netgear, look at the DHCP stuff and test on a bigger scale than what you apparently are doing.  Either the cache is not getting flushed properly between disconnects/reconnects, or something.  Also, you need to add a better check in there for assigning an IP to a device when another device already has that IP, AND the IP is in the DHCP range.  I understand if a device has a static IP and that can cause a conflict. But I am speaking about 2 devices, both on DHCP, and both end up with the same IP.  That should be something you can avoid.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7