Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

New - MR80 / MS80 Firmware Version 1.1.7.14 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - MR80 / MS80 Firmware Version 1.1.7.14 Released

Security Fixes: 12/22/2022

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the DNS settings are masked when Smart Parental Controls is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where the router web interface shows an “invalid device name” error message if you change and save the device name in the format DEV-xx:xx:xx.
  • Fixes the issue where the port forwarding rules no longer display but are not deleted. 
  • Fixes the issue where the router generates a SYN message when it drops a TCP packet.
  • Fixes the issue where the 2.4 GHz radio can't change from a 20 MHz channel width to a 40 MHz channel width when the “20/40 MHz coexistence” feature is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where the traffic meter doesn’t count the traffic correctly when you copy large files from the Internet.

Download Link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/mk83.aspx#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To view your product’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MK83.aspx#docs.

Installation Instructions:

Download the firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop.

Be sure to update all MS first, then the MR lastly. 

Click the ADVANCED tab.
Click Administration.
Click Router Update.
Click the Manual Update tab.
Select satellite first and a new web page pops up. Please browse the new satellite firmware and upgrade satellite firmware first.
After you finish the satellite firmware upgrade, please find “Locate and select the upgrade file on your disk” on the MR60 web GUI and click “Browse” and locate the file you just downloaded.
Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
The router reboots when the upgrade is complete.
After the router boots up and the LED becomes steady blue.

To check that the upgrade was successful, log in to the router again at
http://routerlogin.net and check the firmware version.

NOTE: If a problem is seen after applying this FW update, try powering OFF the ISP modem, MR and MS units for 1 minute then back ON. Last resort would be to try a full on Factory Reset and setup from scratch.

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you in this thread...

Message 1 of 15
garyalbert
Aspirant

Re: New - MR80 / MS80 Firmware Version 1.1.7.14 Released

Not sure if this was brought up with previous updates, as I am setting up a new MK83 mesh network.

Updates to 1.1.7.14 to make sure I was up to date before continuing to build out new network.

When WIFI security is set to WPA3 - devices that only support WPA2 can't connect.

When WIFI security is set to WPA2 everything connects just fine.

I thought when set to WPA3, WPA2 would still work.  Am I incorrect?

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, if Mixed WPA2/WPA3 mode isn't seen on the MRs web page then you'll need to set WPA2 for now. Mixed mode is needed for both WPA2 and WPA3 devices to work together. 

Message 3 of 15
rush12
Aspirant

Hi, having issues updating to this firmware. I currently just have the router and 1 satellite setup. Logged into router and checked for Online updates. On V1.1.7.12 and get "No new Firmware available" message. I then try to manually update with the new download, and when I go to update the satellite first, I get prompted for a login, enter router login info and then I get a 404 not found for the upgrade_page. http://10.0.0.4/start.htm?page=upgrade_page  Any help on this issue and being able to get the satellite updated first?? I have Rebooted the router but no reset. 

Firmware: V1.1.7.12_3.1.108

GUI: V1.1.7.12_2.1.46.1

Thanks

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you access the MS web page directly using it's IP address in a web browser seen on the MRs web page?

Seems like you have a host router infront of the MR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 15
rush12
Aspirant

"So can you access the MS web page directly using it's IP address in a web browser seen on the MRs web page?"

Yes it seems so, this is where I get redirected under Advanced>Adminstration>Router Update>Manual Update (tab) > then I get a table with a list of MS satellites connected. To update Netgear satellite , select the device then click the update field to continue

> selecting a connected Satellite navigates me to the URL I listed previously. Prompts me to login, but no matter what I do I am unable to login.

"Seems like you have a host router infront of the MR? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?"

I have a Verzion 5G Internet Gateway/ WIFI 6 router (ARC-XCI55AX) set to IP passthrough mode. From Verizon website - "Enabling IP passthrough causes the IP address assigned by the network to hand off to the device connected to the LAN2 port" This is all true. The NG routers works as intended and obtains the public IP, etc.  I wouldnt think the Gateway's network/subnet would matter in passthrough mode, but maybe it does. It would still be set to 192.168.1.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address the MR is getting from the ISP modem on it's WAN port? Is it a ##.##.###.### address or a 10.something address? 

What you might do is to download the MS and MR FW files to a wired PC, disconnect the MR from the ISP modem. Factory reset the MR and MS and get them up and running. You don't have to have the MR connected to the ISP modem. Use a wired PC to walk thru the set up wizard at 192.168.1.1. The MS should connect. Log in to the MS web page using the IP address seen on the MR for the MS. Load the MS FW file here on the MS web page. Then send the MRs FW file to the MR. After all has been sent and processed and the MS and MR is back to ready. Power OFF the MS and MR. Reconnect the MR to the ISP modem, then power ON the MR and MS. Might power cycle the ISP modem off for 30 seconds then back ON as well. 

Message 7 of 15
rush12
Aspirant

On Internet Setup we are getting the Internet IP Address dynamically from ISP. Its a 7x.XXX.XXX.XX ip.

On the WAN Setup config page, these are the current settings

[] (unchecked) Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection

[] (unchecked) Default DMZ Server - IP 10.0.0.0

[] (unchecked) Respond to Ping on Internet Port

[] (unchecked) Disable IGMP Proxying

MTU Size 1500 bytes

NAT Filtering - Secured

Good thing is I already have the firmware downloaded locally for the manual update. Sounds like I may have to try disconnecting from ISP and trying to update and/or doing a reset on the MR and MS and then trying to update on wired connection disconnected from the ISP. 

Thanks

Message 8 of 15
jvhermann
Aspirant

When I installed this new firmware in January, both of my satellites stopped syncing with the router.  I have been on 20 hours of phone calls with NetGear support (Level-1 and 2) over a period of 6 weeks and still do not have a resolution.  They went through all the typical debugging protocols, and still the satellites will not sync to the Router.  They have even sent me two RMAs and I am having the same issue with the new kits.  Any ideas on what the problem is?  NetGear gives up, and then simply sends me a new RMA.  The definition of insanity is......

Message 9 of 15

@jvhermann wrote:

When I installed this new firmware in January, both of my satellites stopped syncing with the router.

Did your extensive troubleshooting include rolling back to the previous firmware?

They went through all the typical debugging protocols, and still the satellites will not sync to the Router. 

Without knowing what you did, it is anybody's guess as to what they missed. In any case, tagging a ride on a different discussion may not be the best way to attract attention.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
hhttps://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-6-and-Tri-band-Mesh-WiFi-6-products 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@jvhermann wrote:

When I installed this new firmware in January, both of my satellites stopped syncing with the router.  I have been on 20 hours of phone calls with NetGear support (Level-1 and 2) over a period of 6 weeks and still do not have a resolution.  They went through all the typical debugging protocols, and still the satellites will not sync to the Router.  They have even sent me two RMAs and I am having the same issue with the new kits.  Any ideas on what the problem is?  NetGear gives up, and then simply sends me a new RMA.  The definition of insanity is......

Message 11 of 15
jvhermann
Aspirant

So sorry.  I'll delete my question...

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you resolve your issue? 

@jvhermann wrote:

So sorry.  I'll delete my question...

Message 13 of 15
mpalajo
Initiate

Just upgraded my mesh MK83 setup to the latest firmware but had to do so manually.  Neither my router (MR80) nor the two satellites (MS80) were reporting that a new firmware version was available even after forcing a manual check. 😤

To minimize risk, I direct connected via ethernet and updated the MR80 then manually both MS80 satellites one at a time.  So far so good and everything synced up nice. 😀

I was hoping the mixed mode WPA2/WPA3 (Transition mode) would be available but alas it was not. I have several devices that do not support WPA3 (smart devices mainly) so transition would allow enhanced security while still supported non-WPA3 capable devices. 😔

Overall, performance seems to be similar as the 1.1.7.12 version and hopefully now more secure. 😎

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you update any MS first before updating the MR. Sometimes the version of FW between the MR and MS are not fully in sync and can cause the MS to loose the connection to the MR if the MR is updated first. Why we recommend updating the MS first always.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@mpalajo wrote:

Just upgraded my mesh MK83 setup to the latest firmware but had to do so manually.  Neither my router (MR80) nor the two satellites (MS80) were reporting that a new firmware version was available even after forcing a manual check. 😤

To minimize risk, I direct connected via ethernet and updated the MR80 then manually both MS80 satellites one at a time.  So far so good and everything synced up nice. 😀

I was hoping the mixed mode WPA2/WPA3 (Transition mode) would be available but alas it was not. I have several devices that do not support WPA3 (smart devices mainly) so transition would allow enhanced security while still supported non-WPA3 capable devices. 😔

Overall, performance seems to be similar as the 1.1.7.12 version and hopefully now more secure. 😎

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7