Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

NightHawk MK63: adding satellites

gabry2404
Aspirant

NightHawk MK63: adding satellites

Hello everybody.

I go straight to the matter: I had a MK63 nighthawk system whose main router broke down due to a power surge. The two satellites, however, should not have suffered damage.
So I bought a new MK63 nighthawk system including two other satellites. 
My question is: is there a way to connect also the two old satellites to the new router in order to have a total of 4 satellites (the two new ones plus the two old ones)?

I ask this question because the two old satellites (which had a SSID "NETGEAR68") don't seem to connect to the new router (SSID: NETGEAR18).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Gabriel

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: NightHawk MK63: adding satellites

try hardwiring the old satellites into the new router and syncing them that route. after they sync, you should be able to disconnect the ethernet wire

Message 2 of 5
gabry2404
Aspirant

First of all, thank you for your reply & time.

I hardwired , as suggested,  the old satellite into the new router, but  it did NOT work; the led of the satellite, after blinking white, remained red.

I'm more than sure that  it is possible to add new satellites (up to 4)  but I start thinking they must be  kind of "vergin" (not belonging to an old kit). These old ones have on their back the SSID of the old router. This may explain why they don't "talk" with the new router. 

However, any  other piece of advice?    

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you hardwire into the satellite, you should be able to access it at 192.168.1.250

make sure its running the same version of firmware thats on the router (but the satellite version)

Message 4 of 5
PalicoMeowster
Aspirant

Hello Gabriel,

Sorry for replying to the old thread, but I'm wondering if you have resolved the issue with adding the two satellites into the new mesh?

I recently purchase a satellite off Ebay from someone who has broken router. The satellite was able to connect into the mesh. When I first added the 3rd satellite, it connected to one of the existing satellite, however, I had to do maintenance and the whole mesh needed to go offline for a bit. Once everything is back online, the additional satellite is no longer want to connect to the existing satellite and connect directly to router. 

This is where the problem started to occur. I found that one of the satellite kept disconnecting and reconnecting to the router. Later I found out that they recommended to use wired backhaul or daisy chain for additional satellite after 2 satellites. Though they put that on knowledge base, they should also add this information on their product pages and part of their retail description on any other retailers.

I haven't tested with wire backhaul yet as that is not what I want to do. I plan to run cable through my attic later in the year once the weather is much cooler than now. I lived in southern states so it is still very hot in August.

Best regards

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7