Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk AX1800 Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System

Nighthawk AX1800 Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System

I'm not sure this is kosher, or if the post will stay up, but I've just got to vent.

I bought the Nighthawk mesh wifi system at Costco or Sam's, the one with 2 satellites. It worked for a year. Then the router began flashing white, and would not reset no matter what I tried. I joined this group to try to get help. Nothing worked. 

Foolishly, last year I went back to Sam's to get the same system with ONE satellite. I thought I'd at least get to use my extra satellites with it, and strengthen my system. Nothing worked,  except the new router and one satellite, no matter what I tried.

Today, I tried again to add the extra satellites, and somehow the router of the second set also began flashing white and refused to reset no matter what I tried.  So, I gave up, utterly, on this most frustrating  set of devices. Beyond this problem, trying to set up a smart home was also a nightmare. I've always been  something of a techie/guru, and it about drove me to drink. Hands down, the most frustrating electronics product I've ever had to deal with. And my interactions on the forum were either unhelpful (though appreciated), or--frankly--kind of rude.  I will never buy another Netgear product. Ever.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX1800 Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 4

None of these questions is relevant to the issues I was having. I had not updated firmware, that wasn't why the boxes stopped working. The issues with trying to get Amazon Echos to play multi-room music had to do with the inability of the router to separate 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz. And the KNOWLEDGE needed to update and reset these things is absurd. I've been "that computer guy" for decades (I'm 56). And this exasperated me to the point of ditching the whole thing at significant expense. 

My house, by the way is 3000 sq. Ft. but with 1250/1250/600 split between 2 floors and a basement, so it is not sprawling. The LAN cable is very short, and brand new.  And the Nighthawk system has been removed at this point, and replaced with a different brand router, with gigantic antennas, and seems to be doing the job better than the Netgear setup did. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

All questions are relevant regardless if you feel they are not. Any and all details and questions and feedback helps us help you. 

I had my 60 series system set up in my 5000sq ft home last year and saw now issues with my two Dots connected. There was a recent slow down in FW reported and seen on v.132. v.134 seems to have fixed that I believe. Reason for asking about your FW version loaded. 

FYI, I remember the days of morse code and teletype when I was trained on those. Age has now relevance here. 

Well I guess we can close this since you removed the system. 

Good Day. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7