Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MK63: fixing signal drops/device manager recognition

EnriqueM
Aspirant

Nighthawk MK63: fixing signal drops/device manager recognition

I picked up a MK63 one week ago, and I won't lie, some of the posts in this forum have me wondering whether I should return this system while I can (another week) and go a different direction. I would love to hear from people who like the M63 and were able to make it work properly. . 

My frimware is up to date (V1.0.6.116). The router and satelites all read the same. My satelites are hard wired. I rebooted the system this morning. I have a 3 story house, each floor 750 square feet, built in 1938. We have plaster lathe walls. The components of the mesh system are on seperate floors, but only about 20-25 feet from each other due to our limited electric. I really do not think spacing is the issue. When the system works, the speeds are quite nice. I am trying to like this system, but can not spend any more time fooling around with it.  I telecommute 2 days a week ...

My issues:

Signal drops. Maybe to apple devices, but in our house that means to almost everything in general. And today the router was off when I woke up -- for the second time in a week. This was a major issue the first couple of days I had the system set up, so I hardwired both satelites to the ethernet and that stabilzed everything for about 3 days -- system ran almost perfect. So I was bummed to learn of the drops this morning. I rebooted the router and am hoping for the best. 

Additionally, my devices are recognzied in the "device manager" of the ap. But only the router recognizes and devices hooked up to it. My satelites say "no connected device found" when I know devices are connected. This is minor, but I would like to see which devices are connected where. 

I am looking for solutions, but also open to suggestions for alternative set ups should this be either unresolvable or above my technological ability. 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MK63: fixing signal drops/device manager recognition

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the MS satellites directly connected to the MR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, brand and model of this switch please. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Even if the MS are ethernet connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Full power OFF the MR and MS for 1 full minute then back on.

Message 2 of 6
EnriqueM
Aspirant

Furrye38, I appreciate all your questions. 

Latest firmware is loaded on the router and both satelites: V1.0.6.116

My modem is an Arris TM1602. It is less than a week old. 

Satelites are connected to MR by a switch, (NG 5 port unmanaged)

Positioning MR and MS satelites is tricky in our space due to limited electrical outlets/access points for ethernet cabels. MR us located in far corner of main floor (750 sq feet). MS1 about mid point of basement (750 sq feet). MS2 about mid point of attic (750 sq feet).  We have 10 foot ceilings. MSs are about 25 feet from MR and about 25 between each other (2 hardwood floors in between). We have plaster lathe and tile walls; and several of them (small rooms). I  was hoping that would compensate for lack of optimal spacing. We shall see. 

Using Auto channels and not tech savy enough to know to do otherwise. But I am savvy enough to change them to the suggestions you offered. Thanks.

Definitely have wifi neighbors, I see 3 networks right now, occasionally closer to 8. People behind me would be closest, Only about 40 feet. But i'd be stunned if they had any internet at all. However there is an appartment complex on the other side of them. Then I have a one family across the street and another at least 100 feet from me. Finally, I got a 5 plex bordering my propety. I say  there is 50 feet. maybe a little more, of yard between my house and the building. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are the MS satellites directly connected to the MR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, brand and model of this switch please. 

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Even if the MS are ethernet connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Full power OFF the MR and MS for 1 full minute then back on.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the NG switch in use? NG GS105 by chance? 

What happens if you turn OFF the MS, does the MR work ok? 

Try turning on just one MS and test again.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. Try using ones that your nieghbors are not using or use but are farther way on that channel. 

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 6
EnriqueM
Aspirant

Furry e38, I appreciate all the effort you have gone to in order to help me get this thing working properly, but I bet I had 6 router drops yesterday. I took this set up back to Staples and picked up a TP Link Archer AX 73. So far, I get the same speeds, in the same places, through the same plaster walls, as I did when the Nighthawk mesh was actually working. But without the complications of multiple units and the AX73 seems much more stable so far. The TP Link interface on the phone Ap has more features (parental controls, device prioritization, etc..) and just seems better designed. 

I really wanted to like this mesh system, but can not lose any more work days or deal with any more domestic turbulance because my internet is not working. I hope others have better luck than I did. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Would have been nice to get feedback on the question presented. Guess will let this go to unknown issues. 

Good luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7