× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MK83 - Centurylink Fiber

bk2pdx
Tutor

Nighthawk MK83 - Centurylink Fiber

Hey all. I just purchased the recently released Nighthawk MK83 Tri-band mesh system to increase and extend my WiFi signal in a three level house with thick plaster walls. I've had Centurylink Fiber for the last two years getting max wifi speeds of 250-300mbps up and down. I have an ONT on the outside of the house plugged into a CL provided Actiontec C3000A modem/router (was free with install - not paying to rent). The equipment hasn't given me many issues.

I have read a ton about the process of removing the C3000A and plugging the Nighthawk directly into the ONT (I have retrieved my PPPoE credentials and know that VLAN tagging should be set to 201 for this). However, because I'm not renting the C3000A, I don't have to remove it from the system. 

As I am not very tech savvy, I'm trying this in small steps. As of now, I was able to just plug the new nighthawk directly into the first LAN port of the C3000A and named the network the same as the existing 5G network. This seems to be working and the satellites are effectively boosting extending the signal. I can still see the 2.4 network from the C3000A. 

From what I have read, I may run into double NAT issues with the current set up and the recommendation is to put the C3000A into Transparent Bridge mode. However, I have also read that this can cause issues with the C3000A and the only way to fix is to reset the router, which could result in me having to call CL to reset passwords, etc (which I would love to avoid). 

I don't mind removing the C3000A from the equation, but would hate to attempt that and cause real problems. Is there anything else I can try? Do you think I can try just unplugging the C3000A without putting into Transparent Bridge mode, and plugging the Nighthawk directly into the ONT, then changing the PPPoE credentials and VLAN tagging on the Nighthawk? Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MK83 - Centurylink Fiber

You can put the MK system into access point mode. It does disable some of the features of the router

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 6
bk2pdx
Tutor

Thank you for your response. Do you think putting the system into access point mode would increase my signal? Would this be a better solution than attempting to simply unplug the C3000A without changing any settings, then plug the Nighthawk directly into the ONT, and hoping that I can configure with PPPoE and VLAN tagging?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Access point mode versus router made isn't going to change the signal strength. 

but you could try it eitherway. some people have struggled with the router directly connected to their fibre box but it might work great for you. 

The MK is much more capable than the C3000A so its always work a try directly connecting it. 

Message 4 of 6
bk2pdx
Tutor

I appreciate the quick response. If I put the Nighthawk into Access Point Mode, is there anything I have to change on the C3000A? I have yet to change any settings on it.

So long as I can go back to the existing setup with the C3000A (in case something goes wrong), I may try to just remove it and attempt to plug the Nighthawk directly into the ONT. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

The only thing on the 3000a would be to either disable its wifi to prevent interference or make sure the wifi channels are spaced out far enough to prevent interference

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7