Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 needs to be factory reset every day

Bglover
Aspirant

Nighthawk MR60 needs to be factory reset every day

When I awake in the morning every device I have can't connect to my router, so I have to go through the pain of manually resetting the router to default, letting it start up as the default SSID, then changing it after "it settles down".  Also, in the Nighthawk app no devices show as connected to either satellite, but everything in the (smart)house is connected.  This is maddening and I'm wondering if someone else has seen this.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 needs to be factory reset every day

What firmware version are you on for the router and the satellite? 

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

Are wired devices unable to connect?

Does a reboot fix it? 

How long has it been going on for? 

When it drops, are you able to log in through the gui on the browser? 

Message 2 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

1. What firmware version are you on for the router and the satellite?  1.1.6.122 on all nodes.  
  2. What modem/gateway are you connected to?  Hitron cable modem from Spectrum
  3. Are wired devices unable to connect? Correct - they cannot connect (my laptop - Windows 10)
  4. Does a reboot fix it? No.  I do at least two (2) reboots before the factory reset.
  5. How long has it been going on for? The last two (2) nights.  
  6. When it drops, are you able to log in through the gui on the browser?  No, I cannot do anything with it until the factory reset has been performed, then I have to go through the scan of the QR/manual selection of the network.

What is also weird is that I cannot rename any of the satellites (i.e. "Upstairs" and "Backyard").  The free-form text window comes up and I can type in it, but when I am done it doesn't commit - ever.

I bought this July of 2021.  I put in a request today to replace the hardware, seeing as I'm outside of the regular support.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

what hiltron modem? they make a lot

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware to the satellites and then the router? Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware

Then do the factory reset/reinstall. 

Message 4 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

EN2251 is the Hiltron Model.  Do you have a link to the instruction to do what you're talking about with the firmware?  I truly appreciate your help with this.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

You can download it from here: 

Nighthawk MK63 | WiFi 6 System | NETGEAR Support

it also has the manual that goes over a manual firmware update. You'd use that process to reinstall the firmware. 

Message 6 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

I was so hopeful! I downloaded both the MR and MS zips, extracted them and went through the manual update process. I did the satellites first, then checked them and the connected devices still don't show in the gui and I still can't rename them. I then moved on to the router thinking maybe THAT is the issue and ......same thing. Both the router and satellite install warned me the same firmware version was already installed also, but of course I simply reinstalled it. Any other ideas I should try?
Message 7 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

Correction - upon rebooting the router and renaming to my custom SSID through the Nighthawk App I could not connect.  ONLY if the name is the out-of-the-box name provided will it connect, then I can rename later via routerlogin

Message 8 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

Changed my Guest Network to the SSID all of my IoT devices know already and so far, so good.  Not sure what's "corrupted" about the primary network being the SSID I prefer.  Something's still not right though - the devices still show strange info.  I'm wondering if it's Nighthawk that's causing all the problems.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

have you tried downgrading the firmware a version? 

You can also try it with the satellites off to see if maybe its a satellite issue causing the problem. 

Message 10 of 12
Bglover
Aspirant

I definitely thought about it.  After finally getting a persistent connection over the weekend I decided to try that later this week.  I'm assuming older versions are found at the same location I got x122, right?

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

correct

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements