Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk MR60 satellites won't stay connected

AlGear
Guide

Nighthawk MR60 satellites won't stay connected

Greetings, I bought a Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 Router (MR60) last July, and it has been working great, up until a week ago. Now, the two satelittes won't stay connected. Their lights turn amber, and while I have been able to get them back to blue by unplugging and replugging, or syncing, they will not stay blue for long. I tried the reset function on the router, but then it wouldn't accept my password, so I called a tech person, and they resolved that for me, got the lights blue for the router and two satelittes, and all was well...for about 3 hours. Then the amber lights showed up again on the satellites. So now I'm stuck. Now trying unplugging, syncing, and resetting (satelittes only) doesn't get the blue lights back, even temporarily. I'm trying to avoid another 90 minutes on the phone, so any help that can be given will be appreciated! If it helps to know, my internet provider is ATT, and the Nighthawk is connected to it through an ethernet port. Thanks!

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk MR60 satellites won't stay connected

To be sure, just connect a ethernet cable to the back of the MS unit and the other end of the cable connected to the Mac ethernet port. Turn OFF the wifi radio on the Mac. Press the reset button in back of the MS for 10 seconds then release. Give about 5 minutes and check the Mac Networking configuration to see if a IP address appears on the Mac. If so, try accessing 192.168.1.250 on the MS...

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Thank you for your respone.

-The firmwear for the MR is v1.0.6.116. I cannot get information for the MS units, because they don't appear on the app's network map, nor can I login in to the routerlogin site (the "admin-password" popup does not appear", and I was only able to get to it yesterday when a Netgear tech had me try a few thing, like disconnecting the MR from the ethernet port, then searching trying the routerlogin, and a couple of number sequences with periods in them). Is there somewhere else to get this information

-The Mfr is AT&T, model #5268ACFXN.

-House sq ft is about 1400.

-The satelittes were placed more than 30 feet away from the MR, about 15 feet from each other. I have tried to fix this problem with them at the same distance, as well as bringing them a few feet away from the MR.

-I don't know the channels, or how to find them. I'm not sure if I can change them on my own, or have to call ATT (I was able to switch channels a long time ago with the help of an ATT tech, for a problem unrelated to my Netgear system, and before I owned it).

-I have several neighbors nearby, usually about 4 or 5 wifi choices appear on the list.

Thanks again, and please let me know if I can provide you with more info for troubleshooting. I'm going to try calling Netgear again today. It's curious why this happened after 5 months of perfect performance. We did have a few power outages recently, and I was reading in the netgear community that happened to someone else. As I mentioned in my original post, the tech yesterday got everything working, but that only lasted a short while.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@AlGear wrote:

Thank you for your respone.

-The firmwear for the MR is v1.0.6.116. I cannot get information for the MS units, because they don't appear on the app's network map, nor can I login in to the routerlogin site (the "admin-password" popup does not appear", and I was only able to get to it yesterday when a Netgear tech had me try a few thing, like disconnecting the MR from the ethernet port, then searching trying the routerlogin, and a couple of number sequences with periods in them). Is there somewhere else to get this information

-The Mfr is AT&T, model #5268ACFXN. What mode is the modem working in? Router or Bridge? This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router. 

-House sq ft is about 1400.

-The satelittes were placed more than 30 feet away from the MR, about 15 feet from each other. I have tried to fix this problem with them at the same distance, as well as bringing them a few feet away from the MR. MS should have 30 feet distanced in between them. 

-I don't know the channels, or how to find them. I'm not sure if I can change them on my own, or have to call ATT (I was able to switch channels a long time ago with the help of an ATT tech, for a problem unrelated to my Netgear system, and before I owned it). Channels are seen used on the MR on it's web page under Basic tab/WIreless. 

-I have several neighbors nearby, usually about 4 or 5 wifi choices appear on the list. Would be good to see what channels they are using? 

Thanks again, and please let me know if I can provide you with more info for troubleshooting. I'm going to try calling Netgear again today. It's curious why this happened after 5 months of perfect performance. We did have a few power outages recently, and I was reading in the netgear community that happened to someone else. As I mentioned in my original post, the tech yesterday got everything working, but that only lasted a short while.

Try this, 

What you need to do is factory reset the MS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. I recommend updating to v122: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK6x-series-MR60-MS60-FW-v1-1-6-122-Relea...

Update the MS first then MR lastly. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the MS. Factory reset the MS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The MS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. YOu can then see what FW version is on the MS. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the MS 📡 to the MR.

Message 4 of 21
AlGear
Guide

That all sounds pretty complicated, at least for me to try. I'm only mildly tech savvy. 🙂 Hopefully, the Netgear tech can fix this for good. Otherwise, I'll see how much of your recommendations I can get through.

Any idea why the system would stop working after months of perfect performance?

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible a FW update was pushed and the MS didn't get the update while the MR did. Should the FW versions become out of synce, this can cause MS to not connect to the MR. 

Distance between the two MS is too close. 30 feet is recommended to start with. 

Message 6 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Got it, thanks once more.

Message 7 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Is there a way I can update the MS's FW on my own? As I mentioned, I can't get to routerlogin on my own (either on iMac or with Android app), but the tech got me there at one point. 

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes as posted already, I posted how to get into the MS web page and update FW there...

Message 9 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Okay, sorry, didn't notice that that question had been addressed. 🙂

Message 10 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Hi again, I tried the steps you outlined below, but am sorry to say that after connecting the MS to my iMac's ethernet, resetting it, waiting 5 minutes, searching for the IP address gave no results (search timed out).  I tried this a couple of times. I tried one of the other IP addresses that the Netgear Tech had me using, but got the same dead end. I just can't seem to get to the routerlogin page, only the Netgear homepage, but without the admin-password login.

I have not tried the bridge mode process you outlined. I may wait until I check in with a Netgear Tech again. Seems ridiculous that there is not a simple way to sync/upgrade all the units, or that Netgear has not addressed this, considering the number of people I see online who have struggled with it. I'm ready to buy a different brand.

Thanks again for all your help!

What you need to do is factory reset the MS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. I recommend updating to v122: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK6x-series-MR60-MS60-FW-v1-1-6-122-Relea...

Update the MS first then MR lastly. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the MS. Factory reset the MS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The MS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. YOu can then see what FW version is on the MS. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the MS 📡 to the MR.

Message 11 of 21
AlGear
Guide

So here's a funny thing. On a whim, I connected the satelittes with an ethernet cord to the MR60, did the factory reset on them, and voila, got three blue lights, with the Netgear wifi operational throughout my house. Based on your recommendation of spacing, I'm not hooking up the 2nd satelitte for now.  My house may be small enough for just one. It's only been a half hour, so the dreaded amber light may return, but the units have all been up long enough for me to verify that they have the same FW, V.1.0.6.116.  I don't know if they matched before that reset of the router yesterday, or whether my connecting the router to the satelittes with a cord fixed things, but for now, I'll take it! 🙂

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 

If they are connected you may want to update them to v122 then update the MR lastly. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/New-MK6x-series-MR60-MS60-FW-v1-1-6-122-Relea...

Yes, depending upong size of him, having too many MS could cause problems. 

Message 13 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Still working 12 hours later, so keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the update link. Since I've finally got things functioning, I'm hesitant to go further at this point, but I'll tuck the link away for future consideration.

Best wishes to you. 🙂 

Message 14 of 21
AlGear
Guide

P.S.  Regarding the upgrade to v122, one of the problems I've not been able to solve is being able to get to the "Advanced tab" step of the directions. The http://routerlogin.net only takes me to the Netgear home page, but without the option of going further in the procedure. I'd downloaded the zip files per the instructions, was ready to move forward, but couldn't. The only time I could get there was with the help of a Netgear tech, but I can't remember the specific steps he had me take. I'd welcome any ideas you have to solve this issue. No hurry though, since, as I indicated, so long as the system is functioning, I'll likely hold off on making any changes for now. 

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect to the MRs web page at 192.168.1.1. You should be able to conenct to the MS web page if there fully connected if you look at the IP address given to the MS. Update the MS first. 

Message 16 of 21
AlGear
Guide

I think that is what I was trying yesterday (or something similar, following what you laid out below, but please correct me if I'm wrong), but could not get it to work. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong, and sorry to be so dense. After wiring an MS to my iMac via an ethernet port (a multi-port unit, connected to my ATT router, then resetting the MS, any IP address I searched (using the http field) simply timed out. At least the system is working at this point.

"Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the MS. Factory reset the MS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The MS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. YOu can then see what FW version is on the MS. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the MS 📡 to the MR."

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

To be sure, just connect a ethernet cable to the back of the MS unit and the other end of the cable connected to the Mac ethernet port. Turn OFF the wifi radio on the Mac. Press the reset button in back of the MS for 10 seconds then release. Give about 5 minutes and check the Mac Networking configuration to see if a IP address appears on the Mac. If so, try accessing 192.168.1.250 on the MS...

Message 18 of 21
AlGear
Guide

Got it, thanks again!

Message 19 of 21
Jillusa
Aspirant

Yes, the solutions listed are like gobbledygook to me! My system has worked extremely well for over a year now and all of a sudden my satellites either can’t connect or disconnect. Router appears strong. No customer service available, perhaps I shouldn’t have wasted my $800…
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post in the MK forum and we'll try to help you out. 

@Jillusa wrote:
Yes, the solutions listed are like gobbledygook to me! My system has worked extremely well for over a year now and all of a sudden my satellites either can’t connect or disconnect. Router appears strong. No customer service available, perhaps I shouldn’t have wasted my $800…

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7