Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh 6 MK63 signal through plaster walls

Darbuka
Aspirant

Nighthawk Mesh 6 MK63 signal through plaster walls

My Nighthawk Mesh base has been getting a signal of over 450 mg download consistantly, howber, when I move to another room with a satellite the signal drops to the 30's. This is an old house with plaster walls and a wire mesh. The distance between the base and the satellite is about 25 feet.

Any ideas on i can rectify this situation?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh 6 MK63 signal through plaster walls

Plaster lathe is great at blocking wifi. 

Reason why is the mortar mix blocks wifi. So does the metal mesh they used in it to adhere the mortar mix to. 

Tends to make a basic faraday cage 🙂

Excellent way to block signals. If you didn't have a great signal before, the mesh isn't going to help a whole lot as it needs a half decent signal to communicate between router----satellites. 

did ANYTHING ever broadcast through the walls well?

what speed do you get from the Satellite if you hardwire a pc/laptop to it? (lets you check the backhaul connection)

A couple options you have if its a backhaul issue. 

1. run ethernet wires and wire in the satellites (best case)

2. use moca adapters (ethernet over coax) if you have coax ran through the home

3. powerline. powerline adapters can sometimes work well to hardwire in satellites. 

If you get decent speeds while hardwired into the satellite, it might just be that you're connected to the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz. 2.4ghz is a slow network 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7