Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk Mesh Wifi Ethernet

dressage710
Aspirant

Nighthawk Mesh Wifi Ethernet

Have a Xfinity router in a small room in our barn, the Nighthawk router is plugged into Xfinity and the satellite is in our indoor arena, it goes in and out a lot. Amer light to Blue light we have a lot of dead spots in between the router and satellite. Can I take a 150ft or 200ft, ethernet cable from the Xfinity to the Nighthawk router and move it close to the satellite? would that help our connectivity to the satellite? 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Mesh Wifi Ethernet

200ft is to far for router to satellite. 

Yes you can certainly move the router closer to the satellite with the cat cable. You can also hardwire in the the satellite if you'd like and use it as a wired backhaul

In terms of the settings between the gateway and router. Its more what you prefer. There isn't really a better mode. Its more what works better for your setup. If you move the primary router and want to use the xfinity router's wifi as well, you could set the xfinity up with its wifi on a different channel and ssid. Then just put the netgear in access point mode. That'd allow you to use both 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what mesh system did you buy? (model)

2. the satellite is 150-200 ft from the router? That'd be why its going in and out a lot. 

3. you can move the router with a ethernet cable. You can run up to 300ft with a decent quality ethernet cable

4. You have an xfinity router? If so, is the netgear in access point mode or the xfinity in modem only/passthrough mode? Or you're in a double nat. 

Message 2 of 7
dressage710
Aspirant

1. what mesh system did you buy? (model) Mesh WiFi 6 MR60

2. the satellite is 150-200 ft from the router? That'd be why its going in and out a lot.  I measure last night and the satellite  over 200 ft away

3. you can move the router with a ethernet cable. You can run up to 300ft with a decent quality ethernet cable That is my original question if I get a Cat8 ethernet cable and move the MR60 router closer to the satellite?

4. You have an xfinity router? If so, is the netgear in access point mode or the xfinity in modem only/passthrough mode? Or you're in a double nat. I didn't set it up so I would have to ask,  it is an xfinity router which mode is better? Thanks

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

200ft is to far for router to satellite. 

Yes you can certainly move the router closer to the satellite with the cat cable. You can also hardwire in the the satellite if you'd like and use it as a wired backhaul

In terms of the settings between the gateway and router. Its more what you prefer. There isn't really a better mode. Its more what works better for your setup. If you move the primary router and want to use the xfinity router's wifi as well, you could set the xfinity up with its wifi on a different channel and ssid. Then just put the netgear in access point mode. That'd allow you to use both 

Message 4 of 7
dressage710
Aspirant

THANK YOU so much for your help!!!!!!!! One more question what Cat ethernet should I use move the Nighthawk router closer to the satellite Cat 6, 7, 8...I need about a 100ft cable? Thx

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I would just get a decent quality cat 6 cable. 

Message 6 of 7
dressage710
Aspirant

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements