× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk® Tri-Band-WLAN-Repeater X6S - invalid password for 5GHz Wlan connection to router

Cdr_Perkins
Guide

Nighthawk® Tri-Band-WLAN-Repeater X6S - invalid password for 5GHz Wlan connection to router

Hello,

i have here a Nighthawk® Tri-Band-WLAN-Repeater X6S and want to extend the wlan of my Nighthawk X6 R8000.

The repeater is connected to the 2,4GHz wlan and one of the two 5GHz wlan of the router.

The router has 2 5GHz wlans with different channel ranges and one 2,4GHz wlan, all with the same password

The repeater can only connect the one 5GHz wlan and not to the second. Message ist "password is invalid". But the passwords are valid.

To be clear:

All 3 wlan have the same password. The repeater can connect to the 2,4GHz wlan and one of the 5GHz wlan. Not to the second one. The result ist the same for WPS setup or manuel setup.

So he dont uses the 3rd connection to my router.

I've tried resseting the repeater, changing the channels in my router and so one. No luck.

All other wifi devices have no problems to connect to my router via the 2,4GHz and the two 5GHz wlan.

After spending hours to get this work, i ask for some support.

Thanks

Marcus

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk® Tri-Band-WLAN-Repeater X6S - invalid password for 5GHz Wlan connection to router

The triband extenders are designed to just use one of the 5ghz bands to connect back to the router. 

The reason why is that standard extenders (dual/single band) have to send/receive from router----extender and then extender----devices. And they can't do both at once. So they take a 50% speed hit right off the bat. By taking one of the 5ghz bands and dedicating it for just router---extender communication backhaul, it frees up the other 5ghz band AND the 2.4ghz band to run at full speeds from extender----devices. It means the extender will be much faster and lower latency than if you just tried to extender all the bands and took the speed hit on all the bands. 

Its the reason the triband mesh systems like orbi are so much faster and stable. 

Its a design feature for faster speeds, lower latency, better stability. 

Message 2 of 7
Cdr_Perkins
Guide

I think this describes my problem. The X6S is a tri-band extender. My router has 3 bands with two 5GHz bands.

But the X6S can't connect to the second 5GHz band because of invalid password. But the password is correct. All 3 bands have the same password and with this password the extender connects to the 2 other bands. But not to one of the 5GHz band.

What i don't understand: why can't the X6S connect to the second 5GHz band? The passwords are correct.

If i choose the 5GHz band the X6S can connect, i have lower speeds and constantly connection losses.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Both won't connect. 

Its not designed that way. 

I went over that in the previous post. 

Message 4 of 7
Cdr_Perkins
Guide

Ok, but why is it called Tri-Band?

From the specs:

Tri-band WiFi Range Extender has patented FastLane3 technology which features Tri-Band WiFi with speeds up to 3Gbps, a Dedicated WiFi Link to the router to avoid halving of bandwidth of extended WiFi signals and innovative antenna design for ultimate coverage.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

You literally just highlighted what I went over. 

That dedicated wifi link is the one 5ghz band that connects back to the router. And its only router----extender link. It lets the extender run at the fastest possible speeds for the other 5ghz and 2.4ghz band. 

Message 6 of 7
Cdr_Perkins
Guide

The Nighthawk X6 R8000 has 2x 5GHz:

Channel 5ghz-1 at range 36 to 64DFS

Channel 5ghz-2 at range 100DFS to 128DFS

When i setup the X6S Extender and i chose the 2,4GHz and the 5ghz-2 Channel i get the message "invalid password" for the 5ghz-2 Channel.

When i choose the 5ghz-1 Channel it seems to be ok, but the X6S give me the notice ~ use a 5GHz Channel with higher range.

And the performance on both scenarios is really bad.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7