× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk mesh use with existing X4S modem-router (AC3200)

elknutson
Aspirant

Nighthawk mesh use with existing X4S modem-router (AC3200)

Own existing Nighthawk cable modem-router but wish to use it as the router for a mesh. The mesh packages include a router and satellites. Can the mesh package router be used as just a satellite without doing away with the existing router?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk mesh use with existing X4S modem-router (AC3200)

No. the mesh systems need the controlling router. 

but you can go 

X4s--->mesh system in AP mode. 

and then you just use a different ssid for the x4s and make sure its on a different channel to prevent interference. 

You can either use it as a backup or even as a load reducing by putting IoT devices or dedicated streamers on it. 

Message 2 of 3
elknutson
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk mesh use with existing X4S modem-router (AC3200)

Thank you for your response.  Being an extreme novice, I will probably resort to the manual when I purchase the system to figure out that I can plug the mesh system router into the existing X4S modem router and then configure each with different SSIDs. If that sounds like I'm not thinking clearly and/or if you have a location I should look for installation solutions please notify me. Once again, thank you so much for your response. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7