× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk mr60 mesh system not connecting to security/vice-versa

Boby32x
Aspirant

Nighthawk mr60 mesh system not connecting to security/vice-versa

Hello,
I have a lorex security system that I just installed, as well as this MR60 mesh network router and I cannot get it to connect, no matter what I have tried. I also have a nighthawk ax12 (rax120). The ax12 connects to the security system flawlessly, but not the mr60 for some reason. Assuming maybe a firewall or something?
Last night the ax12 died. Keeps power cycling. I thought maybe I was getting some feedback from other devices that are connected, so I disconnected everything. The cooling fan won't turn on and it just keeps power cycling until it finally just shuts down.
Anyway, is there something I can do to get the security system connected to the mesh router system?
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Boby32x
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk mr60 mesh system not connecting to security/vice-versa

Turns out that the ethernet cable that came with the MR60 router was bad right out of the box. I replaced it and now everything (including both switches and even the security system) is working.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try configuring a custom separated SSID network and see if the device will connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID name. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000063027/Can-I-create-separate-2-4GHz-and-5GHz-SSIDs-on-my-Nighthawk-Tri-ban...

Contact the Mfr of this device there there help and information regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 12
Boby32x
Aspirant

The modem: spectrum model#ET2251
Nighthawk firmware:v1.1.7.134
Also, the security system is connected via ethernet through a passive switch
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the device directly connected to the MR? 

What is the brand and model# of this switch? 

Be sure to use good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Swap out cabling to see if problem continues. 

Message 4 of 12
Boby32x
Aspirant

Netgear 8 port gigabit ethernet switch GS208v
As for the security hooked directly to the MR60, that works. I'm afraid I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to home networking. This switch also connects to a switch in my workshop. That one is a tplink SG1005D. This also feeds a wifi blast 2AOQ6LV-WR03 so some devices can connect wirelessly (phone, Amazon echo) I will include a rough sketch of what I am trying to do
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you directly connect to the MR and it works with out the switch in the mix, seems like maybe the switch could be the problem.

Message 6 of 12
Boby32x
Aspirant

It is certainly possible that it is the culprit, but is it the user? I ask because it's brand new. I bought it right after realizing that the mr60 only had 1 output
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try a different switch. GS108 would be suggested. Can be found for cheap on places like amazon or shopgoodwill.

Message 8 of 12
Boby32x
Aspirant

Ok ty
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 12
Boby32x
Aspirant

Turns out that the ethernet cable that came with the MR60 router was bad right out of the box. I replaced it and now everything (including both switches and even the security system) is working.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. Ya I never use in box cables. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7