Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Nighthawk wifi 6 Model MK63 questions for a beginner

rhill2
Follower

Nighthawk wifi 6 Model MK63 questions for a beginner

Hello,

I am just getting started on researching a transition to a MESH network, and i have questions about the Nighthawk system. 

From what i have read, there is only one SSID for the nighthawk MESH system. This is not acceptable for me . I need to be able to separate the  traffic.  

One: Does it allow  multiple channels or SSID's  so that i can separate my work computer ( and traffic ) from  my home traffic ? 

Two: I have verizon's 2 gig fiber. Is the system compatible with verizon , and can I remove their " router" and replace it with this system ?

. regards

Richard 

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk wifi 6 Model MK63 questions for a beginner

@rhill2 wrote:

Hello,

I am just getting started on researching a transition to a MESH network, and i have questions about the Nighthawk system. 

From what i have read, there is only one SSID for the nighthawk MESH system. This is not acceptable for me .-----thats the whole purpose of a mesh system. to have a single ssid and multiple access points to connect to.  I need to be able to separate the  traffic.  

One: Does it allow  multiple channels or SSID's  so that i can separate my work computer ( and traffic ) from  my home traffic ? ----If you're wanting mulitiple ssid's, then you'll want to check into the business grade orbi pro's. They support multiple ssid's. And separate vlans if you want to separate traffic 

Two: I have verizon's 2 gig fiber. Is the system compatible with verizon , and can I remove their " router" and replace it with this system ?----Usually verizon gives you a gateway or ont. If its a gateway, it should have a passthrough mode. Or you can  request a simple ONT from them so you can connect a router to. Keep in mind, the only Orbi pro with a 2.5gig port is the 80 series. And for the standard orbi series its the 8 and 9 series that have 2.5gig ports. The rest are all gig ports. 

. regards

Richard 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7