Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

(No tin foil required solution to) Nighthawk mesh MR60 - devices that require 2.4 GHz connection

jmtt77
Aspirant

(No tin foil required solution to) Nighthawk mesh MR60 - devices that require 2.4 GHz connection

Model - MR60

Firmware - 1.1.6.124

There are some other threads about a MR60 mesh issue where IoT devices that don't understand 5Ghz wireless need a method to disable 5GHz and exclusively enable 2.4GHz instead to allow those legacy IoT devices to connect.  The only thread I see marked as "solved" points to an odd workaround where you disconnect the satellites, and wrap the main router in tin foil.

Some time in 2022, a better solution was created by Netgear: https://kb.netgear.com/000063027/Can-I-create-separate-2-4GHz-and-5GHz-SSIDs-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-Wi...

What's not made clear there is that you need to be running firmware version 1.1.6.124.  While on the factory-installed v1.1.6.122, the menu choice described in the above procedure doesn't appear.  In addition, the automatic firmware detect didn't move me to v1.1.6.124, but I manually found the new firmware here: https://kb.netgear.com/000064880/MR60-MS60-Firmware-Version-1-1-6-124

After installing that update, the Advanced Setup > Customize WiFi Network menu choice showed up, and I was able to create a 2.4GHz SSID that allowed my legacy IoT switch to connect.  Hope this helps.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

All Replies
jmtt77
Aspirant

Re: (No tin foil required solution to) Nighthawk mesh MR60 - devices that require 2.4 GHz connection

OK, that 3rd link does mention .124 as being a critical part of the solution, so I will accept your reply as the solution.

Hopefully, others with this problem will discover that they need to upgrade to .124 and then try to use the published procedure for creating a dedicated 2.4GHz SSID

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7