Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Overnight speed drop. ax3600 MR80. Anyone?

in2ndo
Apprentice

Overnight speed drop. ax3600 MR80. Anyone?

Hello,

So I installed a ax3600 / MR80 on 07/20/21.  Did a manual firmware update to the router and satellites. since the auto update wouldn't find the new firmware. now the installed version is V1.1.5.4_3.1.91.  

After and before the update I was getting a consistent 230Mbps down and around 10 up.  this morning I woke up to a speed under 6Mbps.  Tested on speedtest app . running on iOS, Dslreports.com running on iOS safari and also a Macbook and Windows machine.  got the same result.  but of course the Netgear app shows over 200Mbps righ after the speedtest app.  waited an hour and retested and same thing.  finally did a router reboot and tested again.  speed is back up to over 200Mbps. 

Has anyone experienced this?  I'm keeping an eye on the router before support runs out.  Just in case I need to return it.  but also got the extended warrany from best buy. 

I'm hopping this is not the router's norm.  because when it works.  it works pretty good. 

Oh, and all iOS devices, Mac and Windows laptops are running the latest OS.

Thanks

IMG_7220.PNGIMG_7221.PNG

Message 1 of 8
in2ndo
Apprentice

Re: Overnight speed drop. ax3600 MR80. Anyone?

and I don't know why my screen shots don't show. 

Message 2 of 8
in2ndo
Apprentice

I guess I should put this thread on hold. Another update was just posted on the website. Of course the router didn’t detect it. So another manual update. What’s up with that?
Now the versions is V1.1.6.4_3.1.92 . Let’s see how it goes.
Message 3 of 8
Akomix
Guide

Interested if you find a resolution, running into something eerily similar. 

Message 4 of 8
in2ndo
Apprentice

The reboot took care of it. It’s been fine all day. But I also updated manually to the new firmware 1.1.6.4 . So I guess I’ll have to wait and see how is tomorrow morning.
Message 5 of 8
in2ndo
Apprentice

@Akomix wrote:

Interested if you find a resolution, running into something eerily similar. 

Wondering what version are you running? after I upgraded to 1.1.6.4 it seems it was working ok.  I had to downgrade back to V1.1.5.4_3.1.91.  because of a different issue and today it happened again.   just like last time.  I get a message that the router found a new device (my ring doorbell pro) even do it was connected from the start.  and after that.  the speed today was below 7Mbps.  until I rebooted. 

Message 6 of 8
Akomix
Guide

That is what was happening to me. I ended up returning the second set I had sent to me. 

Went over to ASUS XT8 and have had zero issues since. 

Message 7 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Christian 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7