× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Router setup

Ian57
Follower

Router setup

I have an Arris T25 modem that has my comcast hookup. Has 2 ethernet ports but can only use 1 (they won't set me another IP)

I have a 8 port switch, 5 port wired router from TP, and the M63 mesh router with 2 satellites. 

I want the router to go in the living room next to the Xbox (wired into the mesh router) since my tests show I can pull 599MB download on the xbox which would be great. My issue is if I put the switch into the modem it allows one device to hook up. Modem is just straight modem, no router. I thought that by hooking up the TP link router to the modem, then put the switch in that, along with a wire that runs from the TP to the mesh router that I would be good.

Probably simple but I am missing something, when I do that the mesh will not connect. I can put the mesh into the modem and move the TP next to the Xbox but then it only pulls 260MB. I know, that is great and why want the overkill.......umm, because I can? 🙂

I'm guessing I need to get in the mesh router and change something? Either the IP to follow along with the TP Link router and/or to put the mesh router into AP mode? If I need to do the AP mode will that mesh ONLY work as Wifi? The key is putting a cable from the xbox to the mesh router but still have all the main stuff on the other side of the house next to the modem still work.

What about dump the TP link, buy another mesh set with 1 router and 1 Sat. Can 2 mesh routers work together but the one connected direct to the modem only be a router and not have wifi enabled? Which was my reason to the buy the TP link but as above that doesn't like to work that way.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Router setup

What tplink router is it? 

You can go modem---->router (tplink)--->MK mesh router/satellites. 

You just need to either put the MK mesh setup in access point mode to prevent a double nat.

I'd also check the tplink when its setup to ensure it gets full speeds before connecting the MK system to it. If the TP-link is the bottleneck, then it'll cause the issues.

Also, the MK series support wired backhauls.

so you could go modem---->mk router-----switches/satellites

and add satellies to the system. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7