Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Significant slowdown over time

cb73
Guide

Significant slowdown over time

MK83 (Nighthawk Mesh Wifi 6 with two satellites) - couldn't find this in the pulldown list

My system works great - much of the time.  Every 1-3 days, my devices on units have significant degradation of performance.  Like from 350 Mb/s to 16 Mb/s using an 802.11ax device.  When I check the MR80 connection to the internet, it consistently says 500+ Mb/s  (which matches my Fios 500 Mb service).  The slowdown is on all devices, whether hardwired to a satellite or using WiFi.  Rebooting one of the satellites sometimes fixes the problem, but about half the time, I have to reboot all three units to acheive normal performance.  

I thought about connecting each unit to an Alexa controlled plug, and then set up a schedule to reboot them all in the middle of the night.  But of course, the plugs rely on WiFi to work, so that is not practical.  I am not aware of anything in the units themselves that would allow this.  

Does anyone have a suggestion?  BTW: I tried working with Support, but that has been a lesson in frustration.  And not even a little bit of improvement.  I am hoping this will help.  

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Significant slowdown over time

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings if available on the MK series.

Message 2 of 12
cb73
Guide

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  Firmware Version V1.1.5.4_3.1.91  Tried the last production version, and it did the same.
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Frontier FiOS with ARRIS Model NVG468MQ.  Firmware is current version.  Again, this consistently shows 500+ Mbps up and down, and that is true via the NG Router as well.  

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  2,100 sf.
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  The main router and the office satellite are about 50ft away from each other.  Another unit is about 35 feet from the office satellite (about 90 feet from the main router).  

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  I set the channels according to NG Support.  2.4 = 10 and 5 = 44.  I tried a few combinations (including 11) before, and also Auto.  All had the same effect.  There are a few neighbors, but we are pretty far away.  According to signal strengths, they are in the noise and on different channels.  NG Support also said to change MTU from 1500 to 1492.  Again, no impact as far as I can tell.  

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings if available on the MK series.  There are obviously different features and settings available between the web interface and the app.  I have not seen those on the MK series in either world.  Perhaps someone else knows if I am missing something.   

THANKS!

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

2.4 should only set 1, 6 or 11 when manually setting channels. All other channels are used by the system. 

Ok, I presume those are not available on the MK series systems, thought I would check though. Thanks for confirming. 

What happens if you turn OFF 1 or both satellites and use just the main router. Still see a slow down? 

Message 4 of 12
cb73
Guide

THANKS!  I will continue to look into the double-NAT issue.  From what I see so far though, there's nothing that indicates double-NAT would cause a slowdown over time.  It seems to cause a pretty consistent slowdown or not working altogether.  And it doesn't seem to explain why the NG router would have full speed through the ISP router, but the satellites wouldn't over time.  But as I say, I will start trying some of this tomorrow and see what I can find out.  It certainly makes more sense than changing the MTU.  And I will turn off the satellites starting tomorrow and see if the slowdown happens to the main router by itself.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 12
cb73
Guide

So I took the Frontier FiOS modem/router out of the equation.  I don't use their cable, so I didn't need it.  Double NAT is gone according to Tracert.  WIll have to wait a couple of days to see if it solved the issue.  If not, I will try turning off satellites.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 12
cb73
Guide

It's been two full days, and no slowdown yet.  I'll give it the weekend and if it's still working, I will accept this as a solution.  

THANKS!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

🍳

Message 10 of 12
cb73
Guide

THANKS!!!! 5 days of no slowdowns.  Well Done!!!!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7