× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Slow speeds require daily reboots

sseebart
Aspirant

Slow speeds require daily reboots

I am seeing noticeably slow internet speeds every morning. Web pages on a computer hard wired to a satellite stutter and lag. Speed tests typically report downloads about 6-7Mbps, uploads slightly faster. Rebooting the router typically corrects the issue, returning the speed to about 450Mbps, which is what we expect. However, the problem resurfaces again the next day.

I found  a few threads on this issue, one with a port forwarding problem (I don't have any forwarding set up) and another with a static IP conflict, which I also don't have. The router is only about 18 months old, so age shouldn't be an issue. (Or should it?)

The router reports that the firmware is up to date, version V1.1.7.12_3.1.108. This is a Nighthawk Tri-band mesh router with 2 satellites: AX3600 (Mk83), hardware version MR80.

Any ideas on where to look to correct this problem permanently? I don't mind rebooting the router once in a while, but daily is a bit of a headache, especially when my family is relying on it to work.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow speeds require daily reboots

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

You can try a FW update as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/New-MR80-MS80-Firmware-Version-1-1-7-14-R...

Message 2 of 5

@sseebart wrote:

The router reports that the firmware is up to date, version V1.1.7.12_3.1.108. This is a Nighthawk Tri-band mesh router with 2 satellites: AX3600 (Mk83), hardware version MR80.

Never trust what the router check tells you.

MR80 / MS80 Firmware Version 1.1.7.14 - NETGEAR Support

This might help:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 5
sseebart
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Looks like a Docsis 3.1, model ET2251 provided by Spectrum, built about 2 years ago. In testing, rebooting the modem has not helped with the speed issue.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Yes, it's a very short CAT6 cable

About 2400sf, but stretched out

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS

Close to 30 feet, perhaps a bit less.

4 @ 2.4G

44 @ 5G

I assume these are the default settings, as I haven't changed them

I can see 3-4 weak wifi signals, depending on where I am on the property.

Try disabling the following and see: Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

None of these were/are enabled.

You can try a FW update as well

I downloaded the update, but can't apply it until my wife finishes her workday.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@sseebart wrote:

Looks like a Docsis 3.1, model ET2251 provided by Spectrum, built about 2 years ago. In testing, rebooting the modem has not helped with the speed issue. Be sure to power OFF the modem and MR for one minute. Rebooting doesn't have same effect. 

Yes, it's a very short CAT6 cable

About 2400sf, but stretched out

For this size of home, the MR and one MS would be enough. Lets turn OFF one MS and observe.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS

Close to 30 feet, perhaps a bit less.

4 @ 2.4G

44 @ 5G

I assume these are the default settings, as I haven't changed them

Lets try channel 1 and 40 or 11 and 48. 

I can see 3-4 weak wifi signals, depending on where I am on the property.

Try disabling the following and see: Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

None of these were/are enabled.

You can try a FW update as well

I downloaded the update, but can't apply it until my wife finishes her workday.

Ok, try this after the system is not being used. Be sure to update the MS first then MR lastly. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7