Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Summary page of differences between Nighthawk MK6*, MK7* and MK8* series? What are "S" series?

glenintenn
Aspirant

Summary page of differences between Nighthawk MK6*, MK7* and MK8* series? What are "S" series?

Just looking for a matrix compare of these routers?  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Summary page of differences between Nighthawk MK6*, MK7* and MK8* series? What are "S"

When Ethernet connecting the MR to MS, make sure the MS are connected or the connetion points are connected behind the MR or the MS will not sync correctly and will not operate correctly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...

Recommended to use non managed switches in between the MR and MS if a switch is needed. 

FYI, CAT5E really isn't rated for 10Gb connections. CAT6A STP cabling is recommended for 2.5Gb and nigher connection rates over LAN cable. However since the MK series LAN Ports are all 1Gb, 5E will do. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Summary page of differences between Nighthawk MK6*, MK7* and MK8* series? What are "S"

I would begin with looking at the spec sheets for each model:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

S means comes with Armor Security subscription. 

Message 2 of 10
glenintenn
Aspirant

yeah. started to do that and wondered if there's a comparison matrix anywhere ... market is getting flooded with people's cast offs ... to the point it's hard to distinguish any difference... meanwhile Netgear keeps pumping out new models with ever-increasing power/coverage... 

mainly wondering at what point I'll be able to find an indoor nodal point where these things will be able to cook steak in the open air  

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI and compatibility:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/NOTICE-Nighthawk-MK-Series-MESH-System-Co...

MK is mostly entry level for MESH and average home users. Nothing that powerful. I have the 60, 70 and 90 series, Works mostly for a 5000sq ft home however the MS are ethernet connected. Basement for the MS isn't great wirelessly but works in a pinch. Just fine ethernet connected. 

Message 4 of 10
glenintenn
Aspirant

Re: Summary page of differences between Nighthawk MK6*, MK7* and MK8* series? What are "S"/backhaul

Backhaul Config:  

Thanks... this was a question I had and I think you answered it... I have Cat5e home runs from my home wiring closet to multiple locations in the house.  Two of the locations have multiple devices on them so there are 10GB ethernet switches in those locations.  As long as the satellites are all on the same network, the router will be able to find them and pull them into the mesh as a backhaul connection "across" multiple switches, correct ("star configuration" on the backhaul page. In my case the router itself is connected to the internet cable modem and a 10GB ethernet switch- that switch is then linked to the two rooms with their 10GB switches and three other rooms with single devices on those Cat5e cable runs ).  

Mainly asking about the two-port routers like the MK6* and MK7* series... 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When Ethernet connecting the MR to MS, make sure the MS are connected or the connetion points are connected behind the MR or the MS will not sync correctly and will not operate correctly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...

Recommended to use non managed switches in between the MR and MS if a switch is needed. 

FYI, CAT5E really isn't rated for 10Gb connections. CAT6A STP cabling is recommended for 2.5Gb and nigher connection rates over LAN cable. However since the MK series LAN Ports are all 1Gb, 5E will do. 

Message 6 of 10
glenintenn
Aspirant

yeah. i used to have 1GB switches but got a deal on two 10GB - they're nothing special...  NetGear GS110MX with 2x10GB ports and 8x1GB ports.

One room has my NAS in it and so that room has Cat6/Cat7 cables to allow for fast data transfer befween the NAS and devices in that room. But, I haven't taken the time to pull higher than Cat5e on the home runs as it's in the walls and the upstairs attic.  

thanks for confirmation... should be good. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, Ya I have one of those. Does a good job. 

Message 8 of 10
glenintenn
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just FYI and compatibility:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/NOTICE-Nighthawk-MK-Series-MESH-System-Co...

MK is mostly entry level for MESH and average home users. Nothing that powerful. I have the 60, 70 and 90 series, Works mostly for a 5000sq ft home 

very interesting - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-6-AX-Mesh/NOTICE-Nighthawk-MK-Series-MESH-System-Co...

NETGEAR only supports same model MESH systems with in each model SKU going forward. 

MK60 series only supports MR60 and MS60 series

MK70 series only supports MR70 and MS70 series

MK80 series only supports MR80 and MS80 series

MK90 series only supports MR90 and MS90 series

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7