× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX router with built in VDSL?

dfunked
Initiate

AX router with built in VDSL?

Howdy

It's time to upgrade my router and I've almost settled on either an AX8 or an AX12. Ideally I want a router with a built in VDSL modem which neither of these obviously have, so just checking if anybody has info on possible VDSL variations of the AX8/AX12 coming out any time soon.

Not the end of the world, as I still have a BT supplied modem that I could use, but I'd prefer to keep things tidy with a single device...

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@dfunked wrote:

Not the end of the world, as I still have a BT supplied modem that I could use, but I'd prefer to keep things tidy with a single device...

First, Netgear does not talk about forthcoming products. Probably to keep the competition in the dark.

Second, it is generally reckoned that having a combined modem/router is less than optimal.

There are several reasons for this. The first is that you will get a limited range of devices. DSL is not used everywhere. If anything it is a dying technology, as even BT threatens that we will get fibre one day. Optical and cable are already more widely used in some countries. So there is a smaller market for DSL modem/routers.

The same limited range argument applies to cable modem/routers.

There are many more routers to choose from than either DSL or cable modem/routers.

Another reason for using two devices is that Netgear, and probably other makers, seem to put more effort into keeping routers up to date. So they new firmware, and the security updates they deliver, before modem/routers.

I had a D6400 modem/router on BT Internet. Then I put it into modem-only mode because I acquired an R7800 router. That turned out to be a bad idea because after power cuts the D6400 was too slow to get an Internet connection and left the R7800 stranded with nothing connected to the Internet.

So I bought a DM200. This is a small and inexpensive modem that sits nicely in front of an array of routers, including Orbi stuff in AP, and various Arlo hubs.

@dfunked wrote:

Good luck with that move. The last time I looked BT's modem/routers were near on impossible to put into modem-only mode. So you have to jump through various hoops to use one in front of a router. I have at least one BT modem still in its shrink wrap. Horrible piece of technology.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

@dfunked wrote:

First, Netgear does not talk about forthcoming products. Probably to keep the competition in the dark.

Second, it is generally reckoned that having a combined modem/router is less than optimal.

There are several reasons for this. The first is that you will get a limited range of devices. DSL is not used everywhere. If anything it is a dying technology, as even BT threatens that we will get fibre one day. Optical and cable are already more widely used in some countries. So there is a smaller market for DSL modem/routers.

The same limited range argument applies to cable modem/routers.

There are many more routers to choose from than either DSL or cable modem/routers.

Another reason for using two devices is that Netgear, and probably other makers, seem to put more effort into keeping routers up to date. So they new firmware, and the security updates they deliver, before modem/routers.

I had a D6400 modem/router on BT Internet. Then I put it into modem-only mode because I acquired an R7800 router. That turned out to be a bad idea because after power cuts the D6400 was too slow to get an Internet connection and left the R7800 stranded with nothing connected to the Internet.

So I bought a DM200. This is a small and inexpensive modem that sits nicely in front of an array of routers, including Orbi stuff in AP, and various Arlo hubs.

@dfunked wrote:

Good luck with that move. The last time I looked BT's modem/routers were near on impossible to put into modem-only mode. So you have to jump through various hoops to use one in front of a router. I have at least one BT modem still in its shrink wrap. Horrible piece of technology.

Message 2 of 4
dfunked
Initiate

Cheers - I meant I still have an openreach modem, not BT. As in the original white ECI/Huawei ones they provided for FTTC installs before ISPs started providing all in one devices instead.

That's probably the route that I'll go down anyway. Chances are I'll go for g.fast as soon as it becomes available to me (if it's even still being rolled out!), so would probably end up needing a separate modem then anyway.

Message 3 of 4

@dfunked wrote:

Chances are I'll go for g.fast as soon as it becomes available to me (if it's even still being rolled out!), so would probably end up needing a separate modem then anyway.

Good move.

That's another reason for having separate modems and routers. You never know what BT, or any other ISP, will come up with. Whatever happens, your router should survive the change. You just have to bin the modem.

An important factor for some BT customers is support for IPv6. Not all makers of network hardware support BT's implementation.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7