× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 RAX200 Drops connections Wi-Fi & ethernet

SERSX
Guide

AX12 RAX200 Drops connections Wi-Fi & ethernet

Ok so of course my router starts acting up after the 90 day customer support. This unit keeps disconecting my connection to the internet at least once a day at random times. I have a PS4, Xbox, TV and a nighthawk x6 tri-band (in AP Mode) populating the ethernet ports. Not sure what exactly happens to the router as my tv warns me saying ethernet connection disconnected. My ps4 just signs off as any loss of network signal would happen. My modem is fine as I have tested modem to tv or modem to ps4 and it never gave me or experienced a disconnection. It has the latest firmware found in the update search interface. I did notice the unit operates really hot in temperature and I honestly think it is too hot. I am experimented with a laptop cooler sitting the router on it pushing air through it. Its no longer hot to the touch but it still disconnects albeit the frequency of disconnections has dropped. It now goes to every other day or 2-3 days without a disconnect. The disconnect never goes down permanently it actually reconnects within a minute again. Its not just the ethernet disconnecting the wifi simultaneously does the same I have to sometimes restart my laptops because it wont reconnect again. Is there any feedback to this? A solution? or should I just give up and return this and get an asus. I have best buy warranty return or exchange.
Firmware V1.0.2.98_1.0.54 GUI V1.0.2.98_2.1.46.1
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 20
ricozamora
Tutor

Re: AX12 RAX200 Drops connections Wi-Fi & ethernet

I'm having the EXACT same issues you are having, it's been driving me nuts trying to figure this out to the point where I'm just going to go back to Linksys router I was previously using that had zero issues!  Hopefully Netgear figures this out so I end up with a "supposedly great" product instead of a very expensive paper weight!

Message 2 of 20
kevinluo1990
Tutor

im having the problem and along with others. I just found out that they removed the 1.0.2.98 firmware from their website, maybe too many bugs........

Message 3 of 20
SERSX
Guide

I had an older wifi 4 nighthawk x6 tri band and that one was really good untill it was not one day it just dropped all signals had to rest the unit to get it back up and running after a few months of and couple resets along the way because that one was also experiencing a sort of disconnection aswell I made the transition to this item RAX200 and it was good for the first few months then it just started this weird disconnecting issue.

Message 4 of 20
SERSX
Guide

I see the same thing that is alarming. 

Message 5 of 20
ricozamora
Tutor

It looks like they dropped it to 1.0.2.88, hopefully this fixes the issue.

@kevinluo1990 wrote:

im having the problem and along with others. I just found out that they removed the 1.0.2.98 firmware from their website, maybe too many bugs........

Message 6 of 20
Brianakabigb
Initiate

I was having the same issues with firmware version 1.0.2.88 and downgraded to 1.0.2.8 - all is well now.  

Message 7 of 20
ricozamora
Tutor

Updated to the "latest and greatest" that was recently released (v1.0.2.102) STILL having disconnect issues!!  Can we get someone to finally figure this out?

Message 8 of 20
SERSX
Guide

Same to the unit I have a few days ago. After the update and reset it dropped the connectivity like 20 minutes later after that update I did fix the time zone problem it was having though. 

Message 9 of 20
VXBlade
Tutor

Having the same problem, at least 1 time every 8 hours

Message 10 of 20
RLGII
Initiate

It's been happening to me for months. I would update the firmware and then have to immediately go to an older version because nothing was staying connected. With the current version I am using 1.0.3.106, it will work for a few hours only. I have to reboot the router 2 to 3 times a day. It's so annoying! I wish I never bought this unit because there is absolutely no support for it. 😡
Message 11 of 20
slippi
Tutor

Do not buy Netgear. You will regret it. Constantly does not allow wi-fi or ethernet connections, evven with the lights on. Their tech support seems to think if the lights are on, it is working. Their lights are on, but no one is home. I bought an extended warranty, which apparantly was for the hardware only. They want me to pay for them to verify the hardware is bad. What a SCAM! ASUS is much better customer service. Don't waste your time or money.

Firmware v1.0.3.106

RAX200

Message 12 of 20
SERSX
Guide

So from the time I posted this there seem to be no fixes and this unit has not improved better yet it got worse. 3-4 random drop connections a day and I have already had a soft ban on one of my online pvp games because my connection dies during the match and they see that as me deliberatly leaving a match. Connections die for about a second or two wireless and ethernet it literally just kills all connections and reconnects right away long enough to disrupt anything I am doing online and short enought the irritate the living soul out of me. I am returning this thing back to the store I purchased from when I get a chance in a week or two. It has been doing this since I bought it pretty much through multiple FW so I really do not care to troubleshoot any further. Im going a different brand on the next router.

Message 13 of 20
Eric35
Guide

Is this thing still going on?
Drop issue wifi+ethernet ?
Message 14 of 20
slippi
Tutor

Actually, YES! Multiple times a week, if not a day. It is very frustrating as I work for the govt from Hong and it drops while in video conferences and such. There is no rhyme or reason. It also drops in the middle of the night, and i use Alexa for an alarm, so, it doesn't go off because it loses connection.
Message 15 of 20
Eric35
Guide

I was thinking of buying RaX200 and throw my Amplifi HD Router because of buffering issue, but now i'm not sure what to do
Message 16 of 20
slippi
Tutor

When the router is working, it is great. But I have had this issue with 2 different internet provider, both Gig speeds. One was ATT fiber, the other Spectrum Cable. So, 2 diferent modems. That tells me it is a router issue, not a modem or service one. Maybe the newer model is better? IDK.

Message 17 of 20
Eric35
Guide

Has anyone tested the router on this website?
And let us all know the results here in picture.

waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat
Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Though I don't have the RAX200, testing with my CAX80 in router mode. Results are not good for the download. Not sure what speed test sight they use but only seeing just over 400Mpbs on the down while Ooklas speeds test app reports over 900Mpbs for my ISP service. 

I got a B on my test. 

Interesting item on there site:

"What router can I buy to fix bufferbloat?
Click to reveal answer.

The quickest route to fixing bufferbloat is buying a router with a fast CPU and a great Smart Queue Management implementation.

Devices we recommend include:

The Eero Pro 5 mesh router with Eero Labs SQM enabled is the most user-friendly option that we've found to date. It can perform SQM on connections up to around 350 Mbps.
(Please note: the new Eero Pro 6 does not support SQM yet, though support is said to be coming soon.)
IQRouter IQRV3 - A router designed specifically to reduce bufferbloat
NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 - Gaming router with DumaOS 3.0 software
Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 - Enterprise grade router (no WiFi) with a more complex user interface, but excellent SQM performance"

Wonder out accurate this list is. 

Message 19 of 20
Eric35
Guide

Anyone else testing Waveform website about Buffering on Rax200 ?
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7