× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX5400 (RAX50) can't copy files to USB connected external SSD

GKL_SC
Aspirant

AX5400 (RAX50) can't copy files to USB connected external SSD

Hopefully there is a simple solution to this problem:

We recently bought a "NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (RAX50)"

and on the product description page it includes: "Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 1 x 3.0 USB port"

So I specifically bought an external SSD to use with the router, a "UnionSine 500GB 2.5" Ultra Slim Portable External Hard Drive HDD-USB 3.0 for PC"

After plugging the SSD into the router's USB port I could see the SSD from my laptop and see the built-in (empty) folders already included on the drive, but when I tried to copy and paste files from my laptop to the SDD the paste option was greyed out.

What good is being able to connect an external SDD to the router (as advertised) if you can't copy anything to it ?

Thank in advance for any ideas to try, I had already searched for solutions online and tried one suggestion already that did not help.

(We use Windows laptop computers)

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

Re: AX5400 (RAX50) can't copy files to USB connected external SSD

@GKL_SC wrote:

added note:  I tested the SSD by connecting it to my laptop and was able to copy files to it so I know the drive is working okay, it is formatted exFAT

ReadySHARE does not support exFAT.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual USB device requirements

Or:

What are the USB drive requirements for ReadySHARE on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then there is this:

Which USB drives are verified to work with NETGEAR ReadySHARE? - NETGEAR Support

Incomplete and out of date, but may offer a clue or two.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies

@GKL_SC wrote:

After plugging the SSD into the router's USB port I could see the SSD from my laptop and see the built-in (empty) folders already included on the drive, but when I tried to copy and paste files from my laptop to the SDD the paste option was greyed out.

Have you set up ReadySHARE on the RAX50?

You assume that the router is the cause of the problem. Have you looked into Windows?

Could this help?

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

Does the UnionSine 500GB have any fancy formatting or partitioning? (That isn't a brand I have seen mentioned here before.)

I had already searched for solutions online and tried one suggestion already that did not help.

And that suggestion was?

and on the product description page it includes: "Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 1 x 3.0 USB port"

You can forget about the old ReadyCLOUD service, if that is what this is supposed to refer to.

Support for ReadyCLOUD feature ends spring 2023 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated !

Before posting I had already tried activating "SMB 1.0/CIFS FILE SHARING SUPPORT" and that did not help.

I checked the Netgear app on my android phone and did not see any option for setting up ReadySHARE on the RAX50.

They are currently advertising this router with having this ability: "Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 1 x 3.0 USB port"

So if they discontinued allowing you to access an external drive connected to the USB of the router to copy files to then they should remove that from their ad page.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I got the impression from their ad page that you would be able to access files from a connected device.

Thanks in advance for any new ideas to try !

Message 3 of 14

@GKL_SC wrote:

I checked the Netgear app on my android phone and did not see any option for setting up ReadySHARE on the RAX50.

The Netgear App is hopeless if you want to do anything "complicated". It is designed for the "lowest common denominator". Good for simple jobs, but hopeless for fine control.

Best done with a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI). A wired PC is preferable, but a browser over wifi can also handle it.

Did you struggle your way through the manual?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Check the section in the manual Connect a USB storage device to the router

They are currently advertising this router with having this ability: "Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 1 x 3.0 USB port"

Those two claims don't belong together. Local access is not the same as cloud access. There is no reason why your PC shouldn't work with that.

The manual doesn't mention the world "cloud", so I have no idea what that ad is trying to sell.

Message 4 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Thanks again, I had found the manual online and logged on thru a web browser and followed the directions as you mentioned, not sure what happened but now the SSD does not even appear at all, let along be able to copy files to.

I ran a windows diagnostic  and it simply said it could not find \\readyshare

If there is another solution let me know, thanks.

Message 5 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

added note:  I tested the SSD by connecting it to my laptop and was able to copy files to it so I know the drive is working okay, it is formatted exFAT

still no success getting it even seen back on the network like before

Message 6 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Added note:

from a Netgear support page:

Quick Start Instructions

1. Connect USB drive to the router
  2. For Windows: Open Windows Explorer and enter \\readyshare in the address bar

....but \\readyshare did not appear.

Also, I tried different computers and saw same lack of results

hope I can find a solution else I might have to post a 2 or 3 star review to caution people readyshare might not work for them also, and I prefer posting positive reviews.

Message 7 of 14

@GKL_SC wrote:

ReadySHARE does not support exFAT.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Check the section in the manual USB device requirements

Or:

What are the USB drive requirements for ReadySHARE on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then there is this:

Which USB drives are verified to work with NETGEAR ReadySHARE? - NETGEAR Support

Incomplete and out of date, but may offer a clue or two.

Message 8 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Thanks, I am somewhat tech savvy in some areas but areas like this I have to research to find answers 😆

I reformatted the 500GB SSD to NTFS and the router page finally shows it as ready.

Still have a problem though, it won't let me copy files from my computer to that SSD connected to the router.

When I had the SSD connected to my computer I added a couple files after reformatting to NTFS and I can see those files on the SSD (now connected to the router) but it won't let me copy and paste from or to the SSD.

At least I made some progress in that the router page now shows the Readyshare status as "Ready" whereas it did not show that before changing to NTFS, but the Readyshare is useless if I can't copy or paste files to and from it.

Hopefully it won't take me hours to figure that problem out 😆

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated !

Message 9 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Added note:

I just found out the files I already had put on the SSD drive when it was connected to my laptop I could copy back to my computer FROM the SSD (now connected to the router) but it still won't allow me to copy files from my computer TO the SSD connected to the router. 

Message 10 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

AX5400 RAX50 can't copy files to the external drive connected to the router

Someone on another thread helped me realize I needed to change my external SSD from exFAT for it to work with the router USB and after reformatting the SSD to NTFS it finally had it status recognized as "ready" on the router page whereas before it did not.

But afterwards I found out the files I already had put on the SSD drive when it was connected to my laptop I could copy back to my computer FROM the SSD (now connected to the router) but it still won't allow me to copy files from my computer TO the SSD connected to the router. 

Any ideas what to try are appreciated !

Message 11 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Re: AX5400 RAX50 can't copy files to the external drive connected to the router

Okay, experimenting I found out that after finding out the address to use -

\\readyshare\USB_Storage

if I did a right-click on my computer desktop and made a desktop shortcut to that address that I could copy and paste files back and forth between my computer and the external SSD connected to the router.

previously I had tried entering addresses in a browser window, but for whatever reason it works good by opening access to it from making a desktop shortcut.

Message 12 of 14

@GKL_SC wrote:

Someone on another thread helped me realize I needed to change my external SSD from exFAT for it to work with the router USB and after reformatting the SSD to NTFS it finally had it status recognized as "ready" on the router page whereas before it did not.

I had already pointed you to the manual for your router which clearly stated that ExFAT doesn't work. You clearly missed reading that bit.

Thank you for telling us that you had a separate conversation going on. Perhaps they can sort out your problem.

Message 13 of 14
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Sorry I missed initially reading about exFAT not being compatible in the manual, I had already spent so much time looking online for a solution I starting getting more in a hurry, my bad.

The reason I tried starting a new thread was it would be more focused on the problem of not being able to copy and paste, the newer problem of getting the router to show the status of Readyshare on the router page as "ready" had been solved by that point but I still could not copy and paste, I managed to figure that out myself which I mentioned above.

I am new to this forum so if I somehow did not follow proper forum etiquette it was not intentional, I appreciated everyone that offered help.

Thanks again !

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7