× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX5400 RAX50

sterk03
Aspirant

AX5400 RAX50

Netgear AX5400 RAX50 Some items to be controlled by wifi in your house demand 5g or 2g.

During setup which has been a while It seemed that the router picked the network based on what needed control or controlled by Wifi. So how would I connect say a light bulb that only wprked pm 2G to my wifi when all I can see is the main network and have no idea if it is attached to 5 or 2 G. Thanks in advance for any direction to this setup.

Thanks

Sterk03

Message 1 of 8

Re: AX5400 RAX50

@sterk03 wrote:

So how would I connect say a light bulb that only wprked pm 2G to my wifi when all I can see is the main network and have no idea if it is attached to 5 or 2 G.

If a device only works on 2.4 GHz it will not see, or try to connect to, 5 GHz.

Most devices use some sort of mobile app to get them to connect.

Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do.

Message 2 of 8
sterk03
Aspirant

Trying to hook up a wifi light bulb which has an app. It says it will only work on 2G. I sign in with to my router network and password but the bulb will not pair with the app and I have no idea if the network is 5 or 2G and so I am not sure the bulb will seek out a 2G network and the Netgear should see this and sign in.

Best I can describe it.  Online you then can change on/off color schedule.

Thanks for your reply.

Sterk03

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Smart Connect on the router. 

Message 4 of 8

@sterk03 wrote:

Trying to hook up a wifi light bulb which has an app.

Which bulb? Which app?

Too many app writers don't understand that many people use Smart or Mesh routers that have the same SSID for both wifi bands.

There are several ways around this problem, most of them discussed here over the years. (That's the reason for asking which bulb, someone may have been here before with the same device.)

If your phone allows it, you can tell is to connect to 2.4 GHz wifi.

Another widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this approach:

1. Go into your router's wifi set up (see below)
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people.

To work out how to turn of the 5 GHz wifi, visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your router's model number and check the section in the manual Enable or Disable the WiFi Radios. The exact working may differ for your router.

Message 5 of 8
microchip8
Master

A lot of third-party Smart devices work with and on the Tuya platform. As previously mentioned, if a Smart device only supports 2.4 GHz band, it won't see/care for the 5 GHz band and will successfully connect. I can fully confirm that even with Smart Connect enabled, Tuya-based Smart devices have to issues connecting. I got 4 of them set up here with no issues.
Message 6 of 8

@microchip8 wrote:
I can fully confirm that even with Smart Connect enabled, Tuya-based Smart devices have to issues connecting. I got 4 of them set up here with no issues.

Good to have conformation that it really is not essential to connect apps to 2.4 GHz to get them to work.

Saw that claim here again today, but there is plenty of evidence that it is wrong.

A long time follower of these gadgets is @CrimpOn who came up with this tip some years ago:

Solved: Re: How to connect 2.4GHZ Devices - NETGEAR Communities

There are many more where that came from.

Message 7 of 8
sterk03
Aspirant

Thanks again,

I will read through the answers and try again.  Its a Felt electric phone app and Feit bulbWIFI 2700K soft white, it's not a big deal it can be set to various colors that is the only reason I am trying to get it to work.  First attempt but will go over everything again. It does say the light should flash rapidly during setup but I would say it is not rapid but I don't think that is cause of the problem. Thanks again and I will try again later with all the info I have received.

Thanks

Sterk03

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7