× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point Mode RAX200

DJScotty9000
Tutor

Access Point Mode RAX200

just thought I would ask why do most devices connect to regular routers setup in access point mode but devices specially streaming devices like the Roku Express 4K HD Streaming Media Player and Now TV don’t work with AP Mode

Message 1 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Re: Access Point Mode RAX200

@DJScotty9000 wrote:

just thought I would ask why do most devices connect to regular routers setup in access point mode but devices specially streaming devices like the Roku Express 4K HD Streaming Media Player and Now TV don’t work with AP Mode

You are going to have to be more descriptive with your question.  I have pieced together you have a RAX200 configured in access point mode and some of your streaming devices don't work.

Need more details on "don't work".   Will they connect to the access point Wi-Fi? 

What is the manufacturer and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT connected upstream of your RAX200?

Message 2 of 9
DJScotty9000
Tutor

I do apologise mate.

Right the problem is most devices I have connected to my access point work absolutely fine witch is the Netgear RAX200. But when I connected my sisters Now TV 4201UK it won’t connect all other devices connected when I try to connect are ok except the Now TV Box. The box came out in 2015 it’s compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n and supports WEP and WPA 2 I don’t know what encryption box uses. I knew the RAX200 supports WPA2 & WPA3 

Most of my devices support a/b/g/n/ac/ax 

Some support a/b/g/n/ac

Message 3 of 9
Kitsap
Master

What is the manufacturer and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT connected upstream of your RAX200?
@DJScotty9000 wrote:

I do apologise mate.

Right the problem is most devices I have connected to my access point work absolutely fine witch is the Netgear RAX200. But when I connected my sisters Now TV 4201UK it won’t connect all other devices connected when I try to connect are ok except the Now TV Box. The box came out in 2015 it’s compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n and supports WEP and WPA 2 I don’t know what encryption box uses. I knew the RAX200 supports WPA2 & WPA3 

Some support a/b/g/n/ac

Repeat question:

I am guessing you are on NBN down under?

Will the Now TV connect to the NBN box?

Message 4 of 9
DJScotty9000
Tutor

Some support a/b/g/n/ac

Now TV 4201UK I am from the UK Openreach Networks 

Message 5 of 9
DJScotty9000
Tutor

ONT Has nothing to do with this 

Message 6 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@DJScotty9000 wrote:

A premature conclusion at best.

For testing purposes do you have the option on the Now TV to connect to the RAX200 via Ethernet cable?

Message 7 of 9

@Kitsap wrote:

@DJScotty9000 wrote:

A premature conclusion at best.

Oh so true. especially when we are talking about connections to the BT network in the UK.

Openreach is a subsidiary of BT, famously authoritarian in imposing somewhat flaky technology on consumers.

If everything works except the Now TV Box, that points strongly in that direction. A lot has changed on the network front since 2015.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Something to check is the ssid/password. 

Roku's had an issue for a while with special characters/spaces in their ssid/password. 

They were fixed with firmware updates (for the most part) but the NowTV might not have been since it looks like its running an older version of roku. Might not have been fixed.

So if you have those in the ssid/password, remove them. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7